Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1939 reviews (1456 good) (144 bad)

Review by lew_b See Profile

• Location: Poughkeepsie,Dutchess,NY
Good "Install techs, HD picture, solid internet speeds"
Bad "Support can be problematic"
Overall "Overall, very pleased."

Placed order thru their web page on a Tuesday, was on the air by 5PM Friday (installers arrived on time).

Installation neat and professional. Installers took time to ask where I wanted stuff to be located.

Went for the 20/5 speed at 49.99 per month. Speed tests consistently show 19 down and 3 up.

Updating my review after being reminded by this wonderful 'system' known as DSLreports.com

The internet speed can always be clocked at 20-21 down and 4.8 up (20/5 service). the phone connection works and both are solid.

My biggest problems:

1 - As stated before, had a miserable time getting my Actiontec router 'wall wart' replaced when it crapped out.

2 - TV service was promised for 8/07. Still no TV and no one can tell me when it will be available. Not sure if this is due local politics or technical issues on Verizon's end.

I'm currently a D* TV subscriber and am in a quandary as to whether or not to get the upgraded D* HD service (and 2 year contract) or wait on Verizon. The fact that Verizon in NY doesn't have MSNBC is also a factor for me.

04/08/08 - Internet and phone solid and work well. Still no TV. Having Cablevision hooked back up as stop gap. Gotta wonder WTF is wrong with these guys. You'd think that getting the TV turned on to enable that revenue stream would be a priority.

06/19/08 - In the last 2 weeks I've received notice of a rate increase and the removal of all usenet newsgroups except for 'the big 8'. The love affair is over !

03/26/09 - TV, FINALLY ! And just in time before my teaser rate from Cablevision expires. Turns out the problems were with the stupid town and the franchise agreement.

Ordered thru reps at a home show, got 2 year triple play. Received 3 follow-up calls, 3 follow-up e-mails and 1 postcard confirming the order and install date.

Truck with 2 techs arrived around 9:30 (window was 8-11). Again, the techs got the 'lay of the land' before starting the install. They basically re-used all the existing stuff that I had. Got 1 HD DVR and 1 HD STB. Chalk up another positive experience with the techs, got 2 more nice guys. They were done in 2 hours.

The HD picture and selection is a BIG improvement over Cablevision ! I can see how some say that the SD picture is a bit soft. Hopefully most of my viewing will be in HD.

Only knocks I have are inoperative PiP (coming eventually), lack of MSNBC in Cablevision territory and no CID display on TV.

Will update again when I get the first bill, and if/when I get the $150 Visa card they promised.

05/11/09 - Well, the first bill looked OK and I got my $150 Visa card today. No outages, no problems.

05/28/10 - Update at the prompting of DSLR - Nothing really to report, happy with the quality of the TV/Internet/phone service. No outages, no bill problems.

06/12/11 - Still satisfied. Signed up for another 2 years at about the same price with EPIX and now 35/35 internet speeds. Also ordered the new and bigger DVR. Self install went well. Had 1 internet outage that lasted over a weekend. I was able to get status thru online chats. Still no PiP, not sure how CV can provide that and Fios can't.

Comments: