Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1939 reviews (1456 good) (144 bad)

Review by rmrper See Profile

• Location: Garland,Dallas,TX
Good "Fast, Stable, Reasonable Cost"
Bad "Actiontec Router, Long Installation"
Overall "Much Better than the Cable it replaced."

It was 2 weeks from order to install, due to my choosing. They could have scheduled me within a week, but I wanted to be home for the install. My install was smooth, with the installer arriving early in the 4 hour window, it is just fairly involved and takes a while. I got the 5/2 internet service, which is costing me just under $36 a month right now. This is much better than the $58.50 I was paying Comcast (now TW) for 4/384k service. I also have FIOS TV now (got rid of Dish Network), and am overall happy with it but am not really reviewing the TV in this review. I had 2 minor outages in the first 2 weeks, both at night. In Verizon's defense, I was one of the first 5 people to get service in my neighborhood so they were still getting everything tweaked when I got turned on. Service has been rock solid ever since. The latency on the connection has also been generally a bit better than I had with cable. The only downside I have is that I had to use the Actiontec router because of the TV service. It doesn't play nice with my ATT Callvantage adapter, so I had to make my Linksys router primary, and hang the Actiontec off it as a switch. Everything works, but the average guy/gal may not know how to do this. Overall, very satisfied for the price. I've had the service since 11/22/06.

Update on 5/29/09: I had my Actiontec Rev. A router die on 5/15. A short 10 min. phone call had a replacement on the way. A refurbed Actiontec Rev. D arrived on 5/18. I swapped it into my configuration (as noted above) and it's been working fine since. Overall, I have been very satisfied, as I have only had 1 major outage since getting the service and that was due to a city working hitting the line in front of my neighborhood.

Update 5/14/12: I've moved (about 10 miles) to another city serviced by FiOS. The move process was quite easy and everything happened when Verizon said it would. We have a new house with wiring already in place, so I just labled the cables and told the technician what to plug in where. So, they spend most of the time just installing the ONT, then the plugged it all in, made sure it worked, and left. We've had service at the new place just about a month and it has been solid here too. The only complaint I would have is that the on-screen caller ID and remote DVR stuff doesn't seem to be working right at this time. Not a big deal to me, but it seems common for folks to have these issues. Internet is solid and stable as always. As a note, when we were looking for a new house, FiOS was one of our requirements - it just is generally better than cable or the areas served by AT&T DSL in the DFW metro area.

member for 8.4 years, 2682 visits, last login: a few hours ago