Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1948 reviews (1462 good) (147 bad)

Review by GlennAllen See Profile

• Location: Glen Allen,Henrico,VA
Good "Fast... on speed tests"
Bad "Anything involving streaming video from ANYWHERE"
Overall "No longer worth the money"

I ordered FiOS on 06Feb2007 using Verizon's online process. I picked the 30/5 tier because it's only $5/mo more than the 15/2 tier (for now), which I otherwise would have gone with--about $50/mo is my "sweet spot" for Internet access. Vz typically offers an 8-day turnaround for installs, but I had other scheduling concerns, so I requested a 27Feb install. Several days before the scheduled install date, I had a conflict arise--jury duty on the 27th. So, I rescheduled for a date beyond the current court session--20Mar, first install of the day again from 8:00 to noon. I had no problems with the order process or with rescheduling.

The tech called me at 8:00 AM on the morning of the install to let me know that he was at the CO, had to get some stuff there, and would be at my place shortly--he arrived a little after 8:30 and proceeded to start the install. I was only getting Internet, but plan on getting TV later this year after I get an HDTV, so he used coax to go from the ONT to the router (instead of Cat 5 or 5e)--but they seem to have a preference for using coax anyway. Everything seemed to progress at a normal pace, taking about 3 hours to complete. There were no problems with the install, and I've had no significant problems since.

I had set aside a PC for the install (which I usually do, except this one wasn't a "clean" PC). The PC had originally been configured for DSL, so the MTU was 1492. The FiOS optimizer didn't set the MTU up to 1500, which I didn't notice right away. When I did notice it later, I tested for fragmentation at 1500, found none, so I left it there, as well as setting the RWIN to an appropriate size for the new MTU. The new settings increased overall speed a little and greatly reduced jitter. For the most part, speed tests get close to 30-point-something down and between 4.4 and 4.6 up. The only thing I'm unhappy with is that when I do a speed test using the Vz site (in Texas), it says I'm getting 29.x down (fine) and 2.x up (not fine), and that my connection is "working normally"... 40% of 5M is "normal"?... nuh-uh. I suppose I'll call them on that eventually, but as long as the "real world" speeds seem about right, I'm not very concerned with Vz's "interpretation" of acceptable upload speeds for the 30/5 tier.

I've been using PingPlotter and some other tools to eval the connection, and generally the latency on the local Vz (FiOS) network is 6 or 7, and up to 11 or 12 on the non-local Vz network. After it leaves Vz, it could be just about anything, but it averages around 20, though spikes up to 70 aren't very unusual for Level3 or AboveNet. I do have a straight shot to Yahoo! now, which is useful, I guess, for those who choose the Yahoo! "experience".

The first bill included the pro-rated amount for March and the full month's amount for April--no surprises there. There's also a state (VA) tax of 0.80 and a local tax of 0.20.

Some downloads hit over 40 mbps; I downloaded one 24MB file in about 4 seconds. Typical sustained speeds are usually around 26 or 27 mbps. It's been fast and stable, so no complaints from me.

UPDATE: 29May2009 - first router went bad; called support--went through the usual "do this, do that" (about 25 minutes), but they still couldn't "see" the router, so they sent me a new one ("new", as in "used", but it works) which arrived the next morning (less than 24-hr turnaround); I plugged it in and was back online. Easy peasy.

UPDATE: 27Jul2013 - over the past few weeks to several months video streaming from Netflix, Crunchyroll, Amazon and anywhere else (with the possible exception of Hulu, which I only visit rarely and only in the mornings so it's hard to really tell) has gone to crap--nothing but "Loading..." every single time and for minutes at a time. Verizon is not worth considering as a provider if you have any interest in streaming video from anywhere on the Internet.

UPDATE: 30Jan2014 - back with Comcast now >> same speeds, half the price (Dear Verizon, thanks for all the fish.)

Comments:

dodgetech2

streaming

your issue is not with Verizon,its with Cogent
»Verizon FiOS and Netflix

Re: streaming

No, actually it's with Verizon.

When packets die on a router, it's the fault of whoever runs the router, not whoever sends the traffic to the router. This is all Verizon's fault. Period.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

Re: streaming

If Im youtube and decide to run my servers via dialup connections, thats Verizons fault?

lol

Re: streaming

I'd like to address your arguments point by point... but you don't have any--you're pointless.

"lol" (What are you... 10?)

"Happy Customer"?

...still? ...really!?

It's interesting that the site's interpretation of my reducing the Connection Reliability rating down to zero still keeps my review among the "happy campers" group. (Well... I'm not happy.)

I think some weighting of the more essential parts of the equation is in order.

Re: "Happy Customer"?

you seem hell bent on blaming Verizon for this....but Verizon is not the only ISP having problems with streaming.....this is a peering problem...not an ISP problem....

Here is another article for you to read....»arstechnica.com/information-tech···e-video/

Re: "Happy Customer"?

I'm laying the blame where it belongs. (And, really, since when did one ISP misbehave differently from any other ISP?) Thanks, I've read plenty of opinion pieces on both sides; I'll stick to the network analyses. It's quite simple: Verizon thinks it has the right to not do what its customers are paying it for and, in fact, thinks it has the right to demand extort more money from others to pay for Verizon's cost of doing business. Get a clue.

Re: "Happy Customer"?

I dont see how you can lay the blame on Verizon when that article and many others clearly point out where the problem lies...Its clearly not a Verizon problem when all the major players have the same issues ...so I do have a clue....I also have no problem streaming Netflix or any other service....
Just go ahead and switch providers, this way you can review them and tell us all how bad they are because you still cant stream Netflix...

Re: "Happy Customer"?

"Clearly"? (You need to clean off your Verizon-tinted glasses.)

(You can stop wasting my time now. This is my review, not yours. It stands as it is--namely, accurate. Now go play with yourself somewhere else.)

Re: "Happy Customer"?

Yes, its your review on a public forum....which I have every right to post on.....

Re: "Happy Customer"?

Oh, by all means, continue to stand up for the lying ISP shithead executives who steal the money we pay them for service by sticking it into their pockets instead of putting enough of it back into the network in order to support their own traffic and provide the service we're paying for. I'm sure they appreciate your... "loyalty".

Re: "Happy Customer"?

You should take a stand and take your $56.00 a month to another ISP....I'm sure once the quarterly statement come in and CEO gets wind of it, they will do whatever is necessary to get you back.