Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1916 reviews (1452 good) (138 bad)

Review by chakey See Profile

• Location: Gladstone,Somerset,NJ
Good "Fast and reliable internet, phone, wireless and TV!"
Bad "Billing was a nightmare - has been OK for a while now"
Overall "If you are willing to spend hours fixing billing, you'll have a top notch service!"

This review is reverse-chronological. Go to the bottom for install and the top for the latest.

1/12/11 - After experiencing some issues with one of our DVR boxes, they came out and gave us a new one without much issue. Since we watch most of our content on Netflix now, I called to see how much my triple play would be reduced if I dropped TV all together. The rep said we would save $34 a month. I said that was great and to go ahead and cancel the TV. He told me to hold for a minute and came back with an offer to reduce our bill by $30/mo for a year as a "Customer Appreciation Credit". I could not argue with that! Internet and phone remain rock solid.

3/31/10 - Nothing much to report! The service and billing have been completely stable since the last update. What a pleasure to not have to spend an hour on the phone each month fixing something with billing! Internet is stable at 26/22. I ordered an HD movie on demand the other night, and although horribly overpriced (IMO) at $5.99++, it streamed through with no hiccups or problems. Hopefully it will not incur some phantom charge on my bill...

7/2/09 - Upgraded Internet Speed

More as a result of the Docsis3.0 invasion into Fios territory than a few of us wailing about being "limited" to 20/5, Verizon now has new, higher internet speed tiers. For $10 more/month (from 99.99 to 109.99) I now have 25/15 and Showtime and a couple of other movie channels. I've done a speed test several times since upgrading and it is consistently coming in at 26/22, much more than the advertised 25/15. I absolutely LOVE the new upload speed, it has revolutionized several aspects of my daily life on the computer!

I have not received the bill yet, so fingers are crossed....

5/9/09 - Unable to upgrade my internet service

When I first signed up for the service, nearly 2 years ago now, I signed up for the 20/5 internet service with TV. When I added phone to my plan in October of 2007, I upgraded my internet to the 20/20 service and still had it as part of my triple play. It cost about $10/month more to have 20/20 vs 20/5. When I rebundled to a new Triple Play package in 2008, the 20/20 went back to 20/5. It is completely impossible to have a triple play of 20/20, Phone and TV. In order to get 20/20 at this point, I would have to cancel my triple play, incur an early termination fee for each service of $179, bundle JUST the phone and TV and pay for 20/20 a la carte. Instead of being a $10/mo upgrade, it would DOUBLE my bill. I have escalated this issue all the way to the office of the president of Verizon, and no one will allow me to bundle 20/20. It was apparently decided by "Marketing" sometime in 2008, that 20/20 does not need to be a bundled service. I just can't believe that I am WILLING to give a company more $$ per month for something (within reason) and they will not take it.

On the positive side, billing has been great--only once in the past year was there an errant charge. I called it in and it was fixed for the next bill. The services continue to be 100% rock solid. I have BBR monitoring my IP and my internet has never once been down.

4/11/08 - Well, it was nice while it lasted

I had a wonderful 2 whole months where my bill was correct. I got a bill this month that was all messed up. For some reason, unknown to anyone, I got bumped off the two year contract and into a month to month contract, which negates all bundle discounts. My bill was over by $100 this month. I suppose 2 months out of 8 with a correct bill is a 25% success rate--better than 0%. I was beginning to enjoy the extra 2 hours each month I got back when I did not have to call Verizon. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I lowered Tech Support to a 3, because billing is not an option. I have never had to call Tech Support because all my services are rock solid. It's just the billing that so incredibly bad, it is becoming comical.

2/16/08 - HOLY CRAP, I HAVE A CORRECT BILL

Although I did not in a million years expect it, I just received a bill which combines all my services (voice, internet, cell and TV) into one lovely price. They got it right, folks. It took since August of 2007, but they got it right. I do not need to block off an hour or two to call customer service this week. I can change my avatar tagline from "Awaiting Correct Vzn bill since Aug 07" to "VZN GOT MY BILL RIGHT!"

WOOOO!

Can you believe I'm really happy about getting a bill for over $200? I can't believe it either. It feels as if I just gave birth. Oh, the euphoria....

1/18/08 - BILLING/GUIDE 2.0 UPDATE:

I finally received a bill which combines all my Verizon services (Phone, Internet, TV, Wireless) into one bill. However, because of the "non-payment" fracas last month, there was a $199 "early termination" charge as well as a $29.97 "activation" fee when they turned the internet back on. Other than almost passing out when I opened a bill for $605, and the extra charges, things seem to be in order finally. I called the billing department, was put on hold for 25 minutes and disconnected. I called back and the second CSR took care of everything. I was able to go online and create an account. I paid my bill with no issues

The FiOS TV 2.0 Guide arrived yesterday. I honestly think that it is a bit faster than 1.0 and certainly more pleasant to look at. The main hang is when you call up the Guide the first time. That takes about 4 seconds and gets you to press the button three times wondering why it is not reacting. Once the guide is up, it is faster. I still long for the day we get "page up/down" buttons on the remote. All my DVR recordings were intact and organized in a better way.

1/8/08 - BILLING UPDATE:

Well, all the stories about Verizon's billing department(s) are true. It has been 6 months since install and I have yet to receive one correct bill. In fact, I have not been able to pay my bill for the past two months because they are billing my services to the wrong phone number. After several phone calls and hours on hold bouncing around to 15 different departments, nothing was resolved. My issue was "escalated". My internet service was turned off for a day and after another round of phone calls, was restored. I still have not received a bill and I cannot see or pay anything on my online bill. I suppose someday they'll figure it out. I am just growing weary of calling them about the same problem and having no resolution. Every time they try to fix something with the bill they are unable to help because another department deals with this. They play "pass the customer" and I sit in awe that this great company cannot do anything on the back end without a running into itself.

Still, it's a great service--internet has never been down (except that one day for "non-payment") and the TV is great. We added a landline a while back to take advantage of the bundle discount. I think that's what started this mess. Their system can handle someone adding services to an existing landline, but not the other way around.

Bottom line--the service and price are still worth the billing aggravation. Just realize it will take you a while to straighten out the bill. The CSR's are accommodating, you just have to be persistent.

11/2/07 UPDATE:

I upgraded to the 20/20 internet service and added a landline yesterday. Everything is still BLAZING fast and rock steady. The HDTV channel line-up could use some work, but they promise to have 150 stations by the end of '08. Let's see if they do it!

Background and price:

We were lucky enough to move into an area that has FiOS internet and TV service available. We signed up for the 20/5 internet and Fios TV Premier level with a DVR box and a regular set top box. The total cost per month is supposed to be $97. There is a one time $19.99 activation fee. There are no taxes on the plan since it is considered "data services." Their phone service is only $7/mo, but when you add all the taxes that come with a landline, you end up closer to $30. We hooked up our Sunrocket Voip to the Verizon router and all is well and it works well. (Since Sunrocket is down, we've switched to ViaTalk which works just as well).

Presale info:

As soon as I heard that we could get Fios in our new residence, I called Verizon. Their pre-sale info was right on with what the website said. The rep was very helpful and took time to explain everything. I scheduled the install for 6/25/07.

Install:

Verizon called twice before the install to confirm that we would be present and have a power outlet near the ONT. The installer came at 10:15 during an 8-11 window. He brought the fiber line in from the street first. Then, he very professionally installed the ONT and UPS in the basement and wired the rest of the house for TV and internet. The Verizon wireless router provided is excellent and covers the whole house with an encrypted signal. It took him 6 hours.

Impressions (so far):

The download and upload on the internet tests at 20.6/4.6. The connection is lightning with no wobbles in service so far. The TV service is excellent. Crystal clear picture with a fantastic DVR menu.

Bottom Line:

Get it if you can! If you can't--call and bug them!!!

Comments: