Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by jca2050 See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "Super reliable, consistent advertised speed, excellent routing through the US"
Bad "My FiOS won't make me food when I'm hungry"
Overall "The best nationwide ISP IMO"

Update 3/18/2011

Still on the 25/25 service and it has still been flawless. My routing to various services throughout the US continues to be great, couldn't be happier with my service.

Update 6/21/2010:

In about a month I'll of had FiOS for 3 years. Having had many different ISPs over the past 14 years, FiOS definitely delivers the best experience so far. It's a shame that they had to halt a majority of their deployment, everyone should experience near-perfect internet service. I've never had any major downtime, my speed has always been consistent and latency has always been low. I play a lot of Quake Live and play on many servers throughout the US (LA, NYC, Chicago etc...) and my routing has always been solid.

I've heard of people having major snafu's with their billing but we have never had a problem. The only time I have called their tech support over 3 years was to have the ethernet port lit up on my ONT so I could use it instead of coax (back before we had FiOS TV) and that wasn't a problem. The only time we have ever called billing was to upgrade to the 25/25 service with Ultimate HD for $15 more a month. Hopefully things continue to be as good as they have been in the past.

Update 4/7/2010:

We recently switched over to the 25/25 service and it's working well as expected. I've topped out at about 3mb/sec in both upload and download speed so we are definitely getting what we pay for. Over the past 2 years of having the service it hasn't faltered once. Routing continues to be excellent for online gaming.

Update 10/16/2008:

After having the service for over a year, it is easily the best internet service I've ever had. Granted, I've had pretty good luck with internet service. When I had DSL Extreme DSL service in California for years I had consistent speed and no downtime, as well as when I had RoadRunner for 8 months in Texas.

The thing that puts Verizon FiOS over that is the value. For $70 a month you get 20mbps/20mbps service which is by far the best bang for your buck you can get today in my opinion. I have yet to have any noticeable downtime and my speeds have always been a consistent 20mbps/20mbps. Latency is of course rock solid, being an avid Quake Live player I have never seen my ping go up or even spike. Hopefully in the future Time Warner will be able to put up more of a fight so FiOS will have to one up them again! How awesome would 50mbps/50mbps speeds be for under $100/month? I guess that is something that is bound to come in the future, I guess it's only a question of when.

3/8/2008

I've had FiOS now for about 10 months and it has been excellent. My original plan was the 15mbps/2mbps, but recently I upgraded to the 20mbps/20mbps plan and so far its awesome! Over the past 10 months I don't think I've had any downtime or speed drops, my latency to servers is excellent. I usually ping between 3ms and 9ms to servers in Dallas, 27-30ms to servers in Chicago and ~50ms to the west coast and east coast.

The technician showed up on time and was professional and friendly, my service was up and running in a few hours. I haven't really needed much from tech support but the few calls I did make was a positive experience. I like the fact that you can call their tech support queue then have them call you back when your next in line.

I suppose my only small gripe is that prices have gone up a tad since I originally got the service but its understandable. I think $70/month for 20mbps/20mbps service is a steal!.

member for 13.1 years, 1716 visits, last login: a few hours ago