Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by ohdan See Profile

• Location: Ontario,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Quick Install - Townhouse Prewired"
Bad "DNS Slow"
Overall "Excellent"

I just had my FiOS internet/phone service connected today. Speeds look great and the install went quickly as this unit is pre-wired. The only hiccups I anticipate are dealing with Verizon customer service (but I'm trying not to buy any trouble).

I could have gotten DSL, or cable through Time Warner, but my curiosity wanted to suss out the FiOS fuss.

I ordered 25/15 and, as of now, that is what I'm getting. The price is ~$80 a month for internet/phone for a one year contract. We do not want/need television service.

Verizon supplied us with a Westell A90-9100 wireless router.

The tech was clean and polite. I let him be while he was working; he did call me in to show me how to switch the Cat 5 cable over to the room I want the router to be located, should I find that the signal is weak from where it is located now. I don't anticipate needing to do that since this is only a two-story townhouse.

--- Update ---

OK, it has been a month since my service has started. I really don't have much to say. Speeds are consistently as advertised and there has been no downtime to my knowledge.

I wish I had something to complain about.

-- Update --

DNS's slowing me down; had to move over to OpenDNS. Everything is fine, now. I was having to reboot the modem every couple of days before switching over to OpenDNS.

-- Update 10/2010 --

Everything is is great. We love streaming Netflix, and for me downloading/playing on the Steam servers has been fantastic. Ping times are very low and the d/l and u/l are just fantastic. My only gripe? Verizon's sales department keeps calling us to upgrade to FiOS. We already have it!

-- Update 12/2012 --

Still going strong; can't imagine life without it!

-- Update 01/2013 --

We moved to an area where it is no longer available. Goodbye, FiOS ... you will be missed.

member for 6.3 years, 1825 visits, last login: a few hours ago