Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1938 reviews (1455 good) (144 bad)

Review by happy4ya See Profile

• Location: West Babylon,Suffolk,NY
Good "Everything so far"
Bad "no complaints here (yet)"

Lets go from start to present. I know this is supposed to be about the service but I feel this should be included since a lot of people will probably go through the same thing. A door to door salesman came by and sat with us and gave all the info we could want and he was great and answered all of our questions....BUT.....he sorta lied and didn't tell us the whole deal when he said Cablevision had a deal where if you switched and didn't like FIOS and wanted to switch back, Cablevision would pay the ETF to get you back and they advertised it on TV commercials so it was legit. I looked into this and did see it advertised somewhere. Just out of curiosity before I finalized anything I called CV to ask about this and they said they will buy out the Verizon ETF but only the first $180 or something like that and at the time, the ETF was something like $350 so I called Verizon and told them they should tell their lying salespeople to tell the truth before they get some crazy person day that gets screwed out of $$ because of this and goes after the salesperson. Someone will hold the salesperson responsible for something like that even if it's their fault too for not verifying what the salesperson says.

So anyway, I was a bit skeptical of the whole deal because I always felt OOL was fast enough for me and didn't think there would be much of a difference but because the overall price was about the same as we were paying to CV and there were a bunch of extra channels we weren't getting I signed up and hoped for the best.

The installer came and being the geek I am, I had most of his job done for him already but he was great and he asked me where I wanted the ONT and the boxes and installed everything exactly the way I asked. He replaced a few splitters and cables and reconfigured some of my setup the get the least loss in the lines. He cleaned up after himself and was gone in a few hours and all was up and running nicely.

The first thing I noticed was the TV was 100x clearer than Cablevision ever was. I felt like I was watching HD on the standard stations. We had a lot of problems with Cablevision with pixelation on all of our TV's and that is now gone and has never happened in the year or so we've had FIOS. I'm not much into HD content yet but I do have 2 HD TV's and the HD stations look amazing.

As far as the phone goes, I wouldn't even have got phone service but it was necessary as part of the triple play deal. The phone is the phone and there really isn't any noticeable difference between the 2 companies. I pick it up, I dial, I talk. Having to dial the area code for EVERYTHING is a bit annoying but you get used to it after a while. I use my cell phone most of the time anyway so it's not a big deal.

The Internet: There's not much of a difference between FIOS and OOL when just going to websites and displaying page content. After all, how much faster can you display a web page?? Where there IS a big difference in upload and download speed of files. I didn't notice much till I started transferring some large video files and downloading the normal stuff like avast, acrobat reader and other maintenance apps I usually download for working on people's computers. My top DL speed used to be a little under 2 MB/s and I noticed I am now often getting 4+MB/s downloads. I don't upload much but I did notice upload speed did increase too and where I really noticed a difference was when I use remote desktop. I remote into my work pc a lot and also to other people's computers I work on and I noticed a huge difference where I actually feel like I'm sitting in front of the remote computer now with almost no lag at all. That is a combination of UL and DL speed increase and it is very noticeable from when I had OOL.

It's been about a year and I am very happy with the switch. Like I said in the beginning, I always felt OOL was fast enough for me but that is probably because I had OOL for 10+ years and I had nothing to compare it to. All I can say is do not trust a salesperson and check out whatever they tell you before signing anything. It may not even be intentional on their part as they may just not be fully educated about something they are telling you but if you don't check and you get screwed, it's partially your fault. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with FIOS service. Hope this helps someone.

Comments: