Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1932 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by kingdome74 See Profile

• Location: Syracuse,Onondaga,NY
Good "Mind-blowing speeds, awesome HD quality"
Bad "Unreal Price Increases"
Overall "Speed, Superb picture"

Let me first say that I am blessed to live in an area that has most all of Verizon's services including 1.9 FiOS TV. I ordered the 35/35 Triple online a month before we moved. The installation went well even though the tech had to crawl over and around the construction going on. Took about 8 hours altogether and everything worked out of the box. My router is an Actiontec MI424WR Gen2 Rev. F and the speeds easily run a steady 46 down and 33 up. I was gobsmacked when I saw it. VZ really allows their subs to do as they wish with their equipment. The router's interface is very easy to read and move around in. Switching security settings is a breeze. Coming from Time Warner who barely even allow you to look at their equipment it was a real eye opener to see all I could with VZ's.

The Motorola set-top opens up a whole new level of hi-def. Because, from what I read, Verizon doesn't need to compress the video signal the picture is so much clearer. I can record shows from either my bedroom or the computer (and I think there is an iPhone app too) on my main set-top in the living room. The phone is a phone and we haven't really tried much with it. The voice is clear and the voice message is easy to set up

All in all a great experience - the best part of moving by far - and I'll be updating this review as I've only had the service for a week but you give me 46 d/l speed, a great HD picture, multi-room DVR, and awesome flexibility and I'll be a happy camper.

Edit - it's now been 9 months since I switched to Verizon and it's been a great experience. I had to drop my pricing down from 150 to 143 to reflect5 the actual price after some of thew promotions ended. I'm still on a month to month contract and from their new pricing it's cheaper than signing a new 2-year contract ($5 increase). Two things to consider going forward is the price increase that is coming down the pike and the upgraded speed packages which both coincide with each other. I'm not financially in a position to absorb much over 150 so I'm hoping the increase will stay below that although I really like the idea of a 75Mb pipe which, I'd guess with overhead, would probably closer to 90. I think my eyes would pop out of their sockets if I ever saw that kind of speed considering I started with Net Free dial up.

Edit Redux 10/1/2012 - I switched to the PrimeHD 50/25 double dropping the phone and lowering the TV by two tiers. I did this out necessity because of the huge rate increases. I dropped my bill back down to 140 (with fees, etc) and have switched to a cheap home cell phone. The 50/25 speeds are very nice. I can download at a steady 62 Mbps and up at 37 Mbps. Nice fluff I'd say.

Edit Tridux 10/4/2013 - In the last year I've had some service problems. First my Actiontech router went up. When I called in a talked to probably the best tech I've spoken to in all my years of dealing with them. He immediately recognized that I have some knowledge of how everything works and dropped the whole walk through. In two minutes he had a new one ready to ship and I got it the next day. While I did get the newest AT router it's had some thorough put problems that I'm still tinkering with. That was the good. The bad made me look to another provider. We took a lightening bolt to one of the power lines in my neighbors yard and blew my ONT to shit I had to wait 4 days for service. I'm disabled and was left with no way to communicate to the outside world (I use ViOPo) except my wife's cell which meant she was screwed. The tech was pleasant and actually chatty. He had to replace the wires to the ground and the complete ONT unit. Fortunately we have our ONT grounded to the house ground which limited damage. Everything is up and running but a 4 day wait was ridiculous.

member for 12.5 years, 5228 visits, last login: a few hours ago