Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by Lumberjack See Profile

• Location: Newport News,Newport News City,VA
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "Bundle options, sales people helpless"
Overall "Internet good, trying to get a customized bundle bad"

50/20 FiOS internet, local calling (POTS over FiOS) with caller ID. My initial order was for 30/25 and I don't remember the exact price but I think it was around 70/mo.

I've had FIOS since it was rolled out in my neighborhood about four years ago. I remember the installation being a breeze and the installer a good guy that knew what he was doing and was helpful.

Phone Service:
My bill includes simple dial tone, local calling and caller ID which I plan on removing. All of that is probably around $20-24/mo. I plan on replacing my phone service with Vonage and shouldn't be any problem as I don't believe anything is bundled and I'm well outside of any contract requirements.

Problems:
Since my installation I've had three problems. Two were issues that were corrected with what was told to me as the "cross-connects" which I interpreted as Verizon's problem. The other was a replacement of my outside box and router. That problem again though was most likely due to the cross-connect issue as after replacing all of that it still didn't work until they fixed it Verizon side. In all cases support was good but I did have to wait for a technician to come out for the last visit and that was over a year or two ago.

Equipment:
The outside equipment is the older/middle tear 100mbps service over coax in the house. I questioned that at first but as it works out everything has been just fine. The modem/router supplied is the Verizon MI424WR. As indicated in my review this has been replaced but I don't know if there was ever a problem with the original. The configuration options are nice and I use Google's DNS servers, dynamic DNS for a host name and some port forwarding.

Attached Devices:
I have various computers, switches and wireless devices and everything works fine with the setup.

member for 12.1 years, 2425 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago