Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by Synbios See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA
Good "When the picture works, it looks good. Connection speeds are more than advertised, stable."
Bad "Bad speed/cost ratio. Poor video stability."
Overall "Unhappy"

·Charter
When I first moved in a particular channel was not working at all, tech support and technicians were convinced that there was nothing they could do since the other channels were working. After getting a new technician to visit, he was finally able to get it working by swapping a cable in the basement. We still have lots of problems with the video quality. Some channels never come through and often times there is a black out or sound cuts out for a second or two at a time.

I graded the pre-sales information worst because according to the site the internet speeds for my address were severely misrepresented. Only until I was about to checkout it tells me my address wasn't qualified for their fastest speeds and I was stuck with 20/4 Mbps for the same price instead of 50/25. Granted, I often get slightly faster than 20/4 and the internet connection has been reliable despite problems with the video feed.

It wasn't until the technician first came to setup that I figured out it was because in my apartment building, they have to run VDSL modems and run the internet over Cat3. I feel like if they're going to use VDSL with such abysmal speeds, I should be paying significantly less for not actually having "FiOS". I got a discount on my bill but it's still not really in the price range I feel is fair and my internet speeds are reminiscent of over 5 years ago instead of cutting edge.

Edit: After 1.5 years of "FiOS" I have canceled. Switching to Comcast to see if they can offer something better. My internet speeds will be at least double in both directions because it will run over the coax instead of a Cat3 phone line.

Comments:

ITALIAN926

Its not everyone..

There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to be missing channels and/or to be having frequent pixilation. You have an issue that needs to be resolved at your location. Get them back there before your warranty runs out, or if you have the wire plan. Could be wiring/splitters, bad ONT, low light signal.
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

Bad Coax, call your landlord

Since your in a multi-tenant building, the wiring is the responsibility of the landlord. You need new coax runs, Verizon can only use whats there.
Synbios

join:2002-05-18
Arlington, VA
·Charter

said by guppy_fish:

You're absolutely right, I am pretty sure that is the problem. I live in a condominium so I'm going to bring this issue to the next board meeting.

Re: Bad Coax, call your landlord

Thats not necessarily true. Verizon techs can test the coax with their signal meter to find out if its adequate. Nobody can tell you that you need new coax runs except a tech on site. You can have a bad ONT and you can replace coax for no reason, dont think you want to go through all that. Get Verizon out there to test coax. They SHOULD have done it on installation day, unfortunately there are too many techs that skip this step now.
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

Re: Bad Coax, call your landlord

The reviewer doesn't have and ONT, its a MDU, and there is nothing Verizon can do about the building wiring as its owned be the Landlord.

Re: Bad Coax, call your landlord

Either I did not see, or he edited in later the VDSL portion of his review.