Review by WowJustWow
Good "Consistent speeds (35/35), no caps"
- Location: Lawrence,Essex,MA
- Cost: $165 per month (24 month contract)
- Install: about 14 days
Bad "Lots of timeouts, connection losses in games (lately!)"
Overall "I was very satisfied originally, now I'm a concerned about the timeouts"
|Pre Sales Information:|
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)
Hi, first review ever, please edit if I screw it up.
I had Comcast, but was hitting their data cap due to Steam downloads, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and online gaming. I have a good 200-300 games in my library, ranging from 1gig to 35gigs..
I *loved* Comcast's pings and consistent connections for online gaming, surfing and movie watching, and probably wouldn't have switched, but the cap just killed it.
So I picked up a Triple Play FIOS 35/35 package with Ultimate+premium channels and phone.
I'm now paying about $25/mo more than CC, have slightly higher speeds and no cap, but slower pings.
The order process wasn't bad. I picked what I wanted on their website and set a date/time to do the install. Install took 3-4 hours tops and went smooth as far as I could tell. The installer was very polite too, if that matters.
My FIOS download speeds were consistent (*see update below). Every speed test was at least 34-35mbps, so that was nice.
And I love not having to worry about downloading 160gigs of games from Steam and/or watching too many movies in one month.
Sadly, my FIOS pings went up right away, but were at least stable (*at the time anyway, see below for update). Comcast was giving me 17-32ms pings to my fav game servers, but they jumped to 30-70ms after the switch to FIOS. It was tolerable but made me a bit sad and affected my play a little.
The last few months (2 maybe?), things have changed in a few bad ways:
- Pings are completely unpredictable. They vary wildly and I lose connection to game servers many times a day and have to re-connect, crossing my fingers that it loads the map and doesn't disconnect or hang, etc. It's actually pretty terrible.
- Websites are timing out constantly. Sometimes it gets halfway through loading a page and stops, forcing a refresh or four until it loads (but when it does load, it loads FAST, so I don't understand it at all.)
- I'm getting a LOT more buffering and freezing on Hulu and Youtube, sometimes requiring full-page refreshes. They were amazing before and part of the reason I took the leap to 35/35 in the first place (I got tired of 'buffering' messages with CC).
So here I am, trying to research and make sense of all this stuff and hopefully diagnose my own problem. (Past calls to other companies usually wastes time and never fixes anything.)
I also just renewed my 2yr with Verizon and got the 150mbps/(something?) package *hoping* it fixes my ping and timeout problems. If it doesn't, I'll be one sad camper out $220/month.
I hope I did this right and covered everything you asked for. I don't really know what brands/models i got. The cable box is black and has the code "QIP 7232 2" on the front and the router has the code "MI424WR".
member for 1.8 years, 9 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago
lodged 1.7 years ago