Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1921 reviews (1453 good) (138 bad)

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Loudoun, VA
Good "Knowledgeable sales rep, great and fast installer, fast speeds,"
Bad "I need to get new computers or at least faster wireless NICs. Noticed some slow down at times but not bad."
Overall "Should have done this long ago, fast speeds and lower cost from what I was paying before."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon has been calling/emailing/mailing me almost non-stop since FiOS was available in my neighborhood. I just procrastinated. I had DSL and 2 phone lines.

So finally I decided to switch. First sales rep was OK but I was not ready to act when he called. I asked him to send me an email with all we discussed but he said he could not do that. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85)

I called and this rep was not as nice he wanted to charge me $80 activation when first guy said it was waived. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85 plus activation fee) So i decided to wait for them to call again.

2 days later got a very nice rep and we chatted about what I could get and without me asking she asked me to check my email and I had a quote from her with everything plainly laid out. 2 lines, 50/25 and no fees for install/activation for $85 total. So I said let's do it. This was on the 10th. Scheduled install on the 18th.

I moved some hardscaping out of the way for the fiber install. That was done on the 13th.

I cleared the area for the ONT and BBU and cleared the area for the router. There is a home run coax cable from the ONT location to this room so I pulled the wall plate so he could terminate the end after toning it out.

Installer showed up at about 11:30 on the 18th after calling saying he was coming in an hour. He surveyed the locations and got to work. He was done in about 2 hours. Installed the BBU inside next to an outlet. ONT (I-211M-K) outside in an enclosure. Toned out the coax and terminated both ends. He hooked up the router (MI424WR-GEN3I) and got the internet going. Then he went back out and hooked up both phone lines and tested each one. After he left I set my wireless back up and was connected to work in a matter of minutes.

The install was completely painless and fast. The only issue I had was with the sales reps but it was no big deal. Now I have faster internet and clearer telephone service at a much cheaper price than before (85 vs 148).

Now I just have to learn my new router details and tweak my home PCs a bit. I do need to buy a new home PC. This one is ancient...

4/1/14: Update - Dropped 2nd phone line so price is now down to 72 total with taxes.

Comments: