Atlantic Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Tasogare See Profile

• Location: Carmichaels,Greene,PA
Good "Fast tech support response, nothing else"
Bad "Extremely poor Tier 1 phone support, extremely pricey, very unstable connection"
Overall "Absolutely do not use if you have ANY other alternative in your area"

We've been using Atlantic Broadband for about five years in Southwest PA, without a single issue. Since their buyout by Cogeco last year, however, they have been absolutely terrible. Since January 2012 continuing to the present day, it has been impossible to go a single day without multiple disconnects and modem rebooting.

They refuse to support Docsis 3 standards without hiking up the price on your contract, even if you're only looking to use the channel bonding feature to avoid said daily disconnects, which are due to the modem unable to switch channels for load balancing.

Their phone support is utterly useless, with tier 1 techs having no idea what load balancing even IS, having no idea modems even communicate on channels, and so on. The price is ridiculous as well, as we've been entered into the most basic cable package and only 10Mb/s internet for $160/mo. A simple upgrade to 20Mb/s would be $180/mo.

Since coming under Cogeco, Atlantic Broadband has gone from an extremely reliable service to a provider I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Avoid at all costs if you can help it.

Edited for January 2014--The problems have continued for the past two years to the present day. I have received no actual help from the company no matter how many times they supposedly fix something and give me the company run around. It's even worse now. I've had 8 disconnects in the past 48 hours, but I've given up calling them for help. They're not going to do anything in an area where they have no competition.

Comments:
ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

Would be happy to help

Tasogare, I work for Atlantic Broadband. I'm very sorry to hear you've had problems with your service latley, and would like the opportunity to work with you to resolve your issues. If you want to send me a private message on this website, we can exchange some information and get in touch. I feel confident we can find the source of your internet connection issues and resolve them.
Tasogare

join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA

Re: Would be happy to help

Not entirely sure how to PM on this site, it's a bit clunky and.. unique, to say the least. I sent you an IM though, hopefully that worked.
Tasogare

join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA
Are you going to help? I messaged you almost a week ago, and I see you've had site visits since then. :\
ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

Re: Would be happy to help

I have replied to your PM after looking into the issues you raised.