ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by florid63 See Profile

• Location: Saint-Leonard,QC
Good "good reliability at higher speed than DSL"
Bad "nothing really"
Overall "go for this if you want good service from a local company"

I was looking for longtime for a replacement for my DSL service, whose speed and reliability steadily degraded along the time, and my DSL provider (Teksavvy) was not really doing much to help me actually fix the problem (except for the runaround with Bell, which was not getting to any speed improvement). The higher ADSL2 speeds are not available in my area, and the other alternative (cable, from Videotron or TPIA) was way too expensive.

When QC cable tarrifs for TPIA changed, I waited to see if Teksavvy would follow up on adjusting the cable prices, but seeing they cannot make up their minds, I chose a QC company; Electronic Box gave me confidence because they had the guts to step on it, and in the long run I figured I am more likely to get better support from a local company, that from another based in a different province, and which expanded too quickly for the customer service to keep up.

I have no regrets, I ordered the 8/1 cable package with 250 GB, I had no speed or connection issues, the installation went without problems. I heard people having speed issues at higher speeds and I feel sorry for them, I congratulate myself for not going for a faster package (I only wanted a reliable connection and decent streaming quality.) Anyway I had ordered the DOCSIS 3 modem instead of the cheaper DOCSIS 2 one, first in case I might want to upgrade in the future, second because it handles multiple channels and (from the reading of the horror stories in RogersLand) I understand this enables better handling of possible congestion.

There were only some minor glitches at order time (order confirmation email was empty, and the wrong address was entered) but these were solved with a phone call.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with the move I made.

member for 6.1 years, 795 visits, last login: a few hours ago