ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by LoneCyclist See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "steady cable connection with steady speeds"
Bad "very long time to get the install"
Overall "much better value than dsl+dry loop"

Their vendor lied initially on the time it would take to set up the cable (tech visit from Videotron), "early next week" he said. I was waiting and waiting for this to happen and called in a few times pretty angry and threatening to void my subscription to finally get the cable guy show up on exactly the 15th day after I placed my order. After that all was fine.

Not good. Lie less, get happier customers who know what to expect!

The connection I am getting is 8mbps/1mbps with a 10ms ping most of the time, it's steady and speeds don't drop much during high traffic hours. Didn't notice any connection outages. I am using my own recycled cable modem, was charged $20 for that option. Routing can be problematic though, connection to some sites overseas may get slow at times, but I haven't investigated this further (it is not a DNS issue).

I am paying for the 250gb package on that speed, it's largely more than I use so far, the price is right and i don't need to worry about overuse. The fact that I never had to call tech support after I got over the installation hassle is a good sign. Also, there's no long-term contract, the payment is month by month.

client AE13