ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by SimonMTL See Profile

• Location: La Prairie,QC
Good "High speed packages at a fantastic price!"
Bad "Basic information about the account is not given unless you ask"
Overall "If you want fast cable internet, this is the place to be!"

I got the 20mbps cable internet package at 39.95$ for 150gb monthly limit (which was recently bumped from 15mbps and 120gb monthly limit for the same price!!!), including free web-hosting, which is a steal at that price! I expected installation to be within a month, but in 5 business days the technician was at my door, ready to install. I still rely on the good old rabbit ears with the antenna on the house, and he just added a new wire, all the way into my office. I got their supplied Thomson Docsis 3.0 at 99$ already set, which is an OK price.

Speedtest.net speeds are at 21mbps download and 2.1mbps upload, which is even faster than advertised! No ports are blocked, so I can actually also host my website on Mac OS X.

I was initially looking to get faster ADSL, but Bell Canada technicians told me they had no intentions to bring higher speeds to my neighbourhood, and the cable alternative with Videotron was too expensive for what it was. Luckily there is an alternative with ElectronicBox, and Ive already talked 2 of my friends into signing up with them.

I didn't like the fact that their FAQ was lacking with instructions for my particular modem (that they sold me), and I had to figure out the installation process (Network and Airport setup) from another source. They could have included specific installation instructions with the modem, but they didn't. My previous ISP had a nice little booklet detailing everything from modem plugging to email setup, both for PC and for Mac. They had NOTHING. If I had been a newbie I would have had a much more difficult time. Thumbs waaay down for that.

They do answer questions by email quickly. I just wish I didn't have to ask them very basic questions regularly (like my username, my password, my access code, my webpage ftp address, etc...). I still don't know what my included email address is! And I'm sure the tech support people are tired of answering the same questions over and over. Surely they could update their FAQ at least?

Simon Rioux