Fairpoint Communications page on DSLReports

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: 01234
Good "It connects, no contract"
Bad "Constant Slow Downs Requiring Reboot"
Overall "Way More Expensive and Slower Than The Competition"

Well, I hooked up with Fairpoint and purchased their 7.1Mbps/1Mbps package. I received my modem one day early and was elated. I immediately set up shop and plugged it in. First things first was to do a speed test. Disappointing to say the least. I pulled out a staggering 1.2Mbps/0.35Mbps. Now I am hardly surprised as I have had their service in the past and had the exact same issue. I called tech support and went over the usual useless recycling of my modem and router which is not the problem. Speed test again. Guess what the results yielded, a whooping 1.2Mbps/0.35Mbps.

Update: Turns out it wasn't their fault. I checked the outside box and the wiring was mutilated by some idiot. I connected each color wire to where it belonged, went inside and checked the speed and received 7.1Mbps/1.04Mbps. Definitely satisfied with that.

*Update* 08/01/2013

I am lowering the overall satisfaction rating of Fairpoint because it slows down and/or cuts the speed in half everyday, multiple times a day, which forces me to reset the modem. Once I reset the modem it will go back up to the normal speed. It does this at least six times a day. It only effects the downstream for some odd reason. It doesn't matter what time of day it is. The speed will just auto reduce itself and it is irritating. I'll be switching to Wideband 50Mbps/5Mbps within the next couple of weeks as I am just downright tired of it. I am sure glad I'm not in a contractual agreement.

2nd is Before Reset. 3rd Is After Reset. I unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Very Annoying.

HERE IT IS AGAIN. It is really starting to enrage me! Why does it constantly auto reduce for no reason? 4th picture is before reset, while 8th is after reset. Read the screen shot times.

*Update* 08/05/2013

The internet is extremely slow as indicated by the speed test screen shot (7th picture). Like I mentioned before, it does this multiple times a day. Once again I reset the modem and here is a screen shot of the outcome after reboot (1st picture).

*Update 08/28/2013*

Upgraded to RR Turbo for $54.94 (20Mbps/2Mbps) vs Fairpoint DSL $54.99 (7.1Mbps/1Mbps). Difference is clear with the 8th picture. Latency is way less, down and up speed is way up. Love the change.

Fairpoint Ethernet: What all Fairpoint connections should be. Surprised they can even do this. 5th Picture. (30Mbps/30Mbps) Expensive.....Jealous?

member for 10.5 years, 243 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ajeff

·Fairpoint Commun..

I guess it just depends...

...on where you are located. Westmore, VT:
xQim

join:2003-09-20

4 edits

Re: I guess it just depends...

Glad you get such great service.

·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: I guess it just depends...

Down boy - lets not bump the blood pressure! Unfortunately, most of your assumptions are not correct. I am a semi-retired IT consultant whose only connection to FP is through my clients and at my residence. My home service was installed 1 year ago July and most anyone who was going to sign up did at that time, except the numerous well to do seasonal folk who signed up this summer. The only option to FP is Great Auk wireless (Great Ugh!) and they have become, for the most part, a non issue where there is any competition. No cable in Westmore.

You might remember the feel good national news story about FP using draft horses to string fiber through the mud and snow - that was us. What you probably didn't read was that residents of this town brought drinks and tasty goodies out to the crews that were stringing the cable in appreciation of their efforts to bring reliable broadband to this corner of Vermont on time in spite of terrible spring flooding. I pay $50/mo for 15 down and 1 up and I get what I pay for and happy to pay it. To accuse me of Photoshopping my upload is rather childish.

Professionally I deal with FP, Comcast, Charter, Great Auk, and a myriad of phone providers and I can honestly say I have fewer issues with FP than the cable outfits. My guess is that is not as much technical as much as right of way issues in bad weather (read trees falling on lines!).

I agree that there are many sites trashing FP but as we know, satisfied customers rarely post to forums. Pissed customers often post. You posted because you were upset with your treatment by FP - I posted because I have a problem with your gross generalizations. I don't doubt your poor history with FP but I have a problem with stretching that to include the total footprint of the company. As I said before, it depends where you are...

Orleans, VT
I applaud your decision to remove your original review.