Fairpoint Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Gremlinlord See Profile

• Location: Oxford,Oxford,ME
Good "Free modem, only show in town"
Bad "Terrible service, slow speeds, not getting what you pay for, extreme variable latency"
Overall "If you have ANY other option, take it and forget about Failpoint"

I've been with Fairpoint for about 1.5 years now. They expanded into new territory after our town wrote them a list of people and addresses that wanted high speed. Knowing we had a great desire for high speed they connected our area.

However even though they knew the number of people they rolled out a measly pipe that is always congested. My current speed is supposed to be the 3Mbps teir. I get ~ 2.2Mbps and consider that lucky.

My longest open ticket with Fairpoint was open for 6 months without resolution (it's documented in these forums). As a network engineer myself I know how WAN networks work. Fairpoint is incompetent, it's the only excuse for these issues in a "new" deployment.

If you have any other terrestrial broadband option go for it (note: Fairpoint dsl is too slow to qualify as broadband, hence the "High Speed" in their marketing). There are no other options in my area other then Sat and dial-up, nether of which are viable.

Unless you're looking for trouble, look elsewhere.

Comments: