Surfnet Communications page on DSLReports

Review by missingwings See Profile

• Location: Felton,Santa Cruz,CA
Good "Quick, efficient install/commission, great speeds"
Bad "Wish they had serviced my area earlier"
Overall "Very Satisfied"

Two years ago, I gave Surfnet Communications a glowing report. For several months I was very happy with their service. However, the up/down speeds began to deteriorate, to a point where service was often unavailable for periods ranging from a few minutes to several hours. I documented the problems and sent Surfnet a letter which was totally ignored (some excuse about not checking their mail very often). They made one attempt at some alternate hardware (with additional costs to me) but with absolutely no discernable result. Further communications had zero effect (no response). They had one tech who seemed very competent and concerned, but everyone else was unresponsive and borderline rude. I hope my previous review didn't mislead too may customers. Based solely on my experiences, I would strongly suggest avoiding this "company" unless you have no other choice. They are now so slow (up and down) that I would almost consider satellite again - which isn't saying much. Even dialup would almost be preferable.

After 5+ years with Hughes (Direcway) satellite internet access, I just got set up with SurfNet (Scotts Valley). The site survey and equipment installation was quick (about 45 minutes), and the commissioning took another 20 minutes.

Earlier today, I ran three consecutive speed tests on PC Pitstop (the entry level 2.4Ghz plan max is 1000 down / 1000 up, which is $10 less than Hughes).

Download Speed: 1036 / 971 / 1029 kbps (1012 avg.)

Upload Speed: 976 / 976 / 850 kpbs (934 avg.)

Latency (Ping): 30 / 33 / 36 ms (33 avg.)

Comments: