Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by zadigre See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "very good price. Easy to setup. Free Soft Phone. Bring your own ATA if you want."
Bad "free soft phone (x-lite) did not work at first. but after some config, it's ok."
Overall "very good VOIP provider!! for the price, it's the best you can get!!!"

·ELECTRONICBOX
I got a DSL connection with Acanac 1 month ago...
Except for the "slow" upstream sync (512kbps), I did not have any problem with my Internet connection... so I decided to get a VOIP line with them.

While I was looking at their price, I found out that I could get a free (yes free, no money!!) VOIP line for 12 months (»www.acanac.ca/Free-Voip.htm).

Free VOIP number are only available in the following area code : 647, 514, 613, 778, 519.
The only catch is you can't make calls outside of those area code (or region)... ex: with my 514 number, I can call 450 area code numbers without any problem.

For now, it's perfect for me because I don't need to call outside those areas very often... and when I need to call outside those areas, I'm using my cell phone with the free incoming calls and Yak Callback number!

The setup was very easy to do... all instructions were in the activation email. The only problem I got was with x-lite program... I wasn't able to receive any calls after the first call. After disabling the "use rport" option, it was working fine!

So far, I didn't do a lot of long calls... but the short calls I did, the call quality was very good... No one could say that I was using a softphone program (x-lite) on my computer!

And one big point... x-lite is available for Mac OS X and Windows!!! Great for using on my main computer (Mac Pro) at home and my Laptop (Windows XP) while I'm on the road!

Update...
I forgot to update this review when I cancelled my account with Acanac...
After a lot of trouble with the non existing technical support and speed getting worst between 5-11pm, I decided to take a second line with Teksavvy... I was more than pleased with this choice I made... Speed during day/evening/night was always good.
there was a few months left to my "contract with Acanac... I did not want to fight with Acanac's billing department, so I just told them to not renew my account after the 12 months term.

So if you are not ready to "fight" with Acanac if you have a problem, chose an other provider... your life will be a lot easier!!!

member for 8.1 years, 3571 visits, last login: a few hours ago