Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by Jurjen See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "prices, community support"
Bad "technical support is hard to reach by telephone, few screw-ups in the beginning"
Overall "Once everything's up and running, you got the best deal!"

Since I had to drop Bell, I had to look for another ISP. Cable was no option, with all the caps enforced by Videotron. I ended up with Acanac, mainly because of the prices.

We ordered it just before moving from Québec to Montreal. We received the welcome email the next day (I ordered during evening hours) and when I called to ask if they received my VoIP order (first term comes for free if you sign up for DSL), I practically instantly got the welcome email for that too (was I too impatient?) The VoIP was already online and I could test it in our old apartment through the Bell internet line (just before signing up, I got a cheap Linksys SPA2102 ATA through Kijiji) and I was impressed with the quality of it all.

Once in Montreal, we got two disappointments.

1) "The Bell technician that needs to connect you, can't find how your connection." Appearently somebody missed out I wanted a dryloop connection, so they told Bell to hook us up on the old Québec phone number that got disconnected just days before. I corrected them, Acanac had to process a complete new order to have me on dryloop and I had to wait another 7 business days to get connected.

2) Due to "some technical reasons" we couldn't keep the VoIP telephone number that was assigned to us. We had to get a new one and send a new email to all friends and family, that ended up causing a lot of confusion.

Once everything got connected, I had some stability issues with the VoIP connection, mainly caused by the configuration of the ATA. Technical support wasn't very useful, only responding to messages once a day. (Cheap DSL comes at a price.) Luckily on the community forum there's a few tech-savvy customers that can help you with a lot of issues.

In the end I had to spend some time getting it to work, mainly because I brought all my own hardware, in stead of buying Acanac's hardware. But now that everything is set up correctly, we can enjoy a stable connection for one of the best prices we can get.

/edit: a few months later I noticed that the telephone tech support got a lot better. It got from "almost impossible to get through" to "max. 5-10 minutes in line". Email support is still disappointing, don't rely on it. One extra point up for 'Service' though.

The services itself have been completely stable so far. The VoIP deal is still the best one I've seen in Canada so far and the quality has always been up to (high) expectations. Only the upload speed is somewhat disappointing for metropolitan standards, but that's Bell's flaw. Same for the rates that are going up thanks to Bell and the CRTC.

Comments:
Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC

Updated

After a few months, I thought it would be a good moment for an update. I've added a few lines and Acanac gained a tiny bit of points.
Lynn0