Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by Bye internet See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "None."
Bad "Promised refunds never provided. Useless, time-wasting customer service, if you even get thru. "
Overall "Refund received, after 2 years of legal threats. Worst Service. Worst Customer Service. "

I paid one year in advance for high speed DSL internet with Acanac, for a cost of $406.12, which was billed to my charge card. After two months of trying, Acanac was unable to provide any connection.

They have agreed to refund. My charge card was credited for $13.56, but I was told that the remaining $392.56 could not be processed to my charge card. Instead, they would mail me a cheque. On December 1, 2011, they said, "You will receive the check within 2 to 3 weeks." I still have not received the check. I've written back to Acanac about it, but they do not reply.

I tried calling Technical Support, wasting an entire day on hold. 131 times I was thanked for my patience, and told I was "next in line". After a day on the phone, they cut off my call! I tried calling Billing, but they refuse to discuss anything by phone. I tried Accounting, but they were unable to help me. Twice, I told them by phone to cancel my order, which them claimed they were unable to do. Serveral times, Acanac told me that a lineman was checking the situation, but I never heard from the lineman, or any party whom he represented.

Some people might get lucky with this company. If so, I hope you never have technical or billing issues!

I am currently preparing legal action against Acanac.

*************

Now, nearly two years after the fact, Acanac has sent me the refund, but only upon my threat of immediate legal action. I am still stuck with the modem they sold me, which was intended to be used with the services they provided. Since they never provided the services, I am stuck with an unwanted, unneeded, and never-used modem. Will Acanac make an offer to buy back the pointless modem? If so, would they expect me to pay Shipping and Handling?If you're almost a pauper, you might want to gamble a little money on this company, if you can afford such a risk of your limited cash. But it's just that...a gamble. For $5/month more, you can get the fastest and most reliable internet service in Ontario, at Start Communications.

FP

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
Lynn0
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

Acanac, Inc.

Can you pm me with your user ID and I will check for you to see if it has been sent out?

Re: Acanac, Inc.

Lynn,

What about put someone on the phone at the billing/accounting department?

I think it would be much more valuable than having someone on forums trying to fix thing up on desperate case.

You don't avoid charge back procedure by contacting people on a forum, you avoid them by answering the phone when they call you before they charge back.

Regards,

YvesG

@host36-server.com

Cancellation

Well am on the same process for cancellation, I told them in advance I will cancel my service this Friday the 27 they told me to send back an email this day. I am very tired of the very bad connection I got from them, MAX SPEED 5mbit but in fact I have 1MBITS most of the time, plus its totally impossible to play games with this connection, it crashes every 5 minutes. I did all they wanted me to do, restart, use another dsl, use different wires, test the plug with bell technician. Their last idea was to call a technician myself and rewire my house, can you imagine.

Anyway, am a fair guy and told them i agreed to pay for a month of (service) and that I wanted a refund of the balance so I can wait until videotron comes to my house.

Considering all what i can read online on them, I think all my effort this Friday will be to send a single email to them, then ill use my legal insurance straight. Well its been 2 years am paying 40$ a year and i can use 15 000$ of lawyer in a year so i think they will have to taste that. This is the only advice I give you acanac, use my patience and yll spend much more in court

I will update u on my great refund or on the judgement.
Lynn0
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

Re: Cancellation

said by YvesG :

I will update u on my great refund or on the judgement.

You want help why don't you register for the board and pm me your user information so I can pull up your account to see what is going on. Your threats with the lawyers will not work with me. I will do what I can for you without the threats. I can't help you here without knowing who you are or your account information.
By the way for the other poster here, we DO NOT steal anyones money. If protocol is followed you will receive your refund back if you have a bit of patience and wait till they reply to you.

Bye internet you could not have wanted help because I asked you above on november 8th I think, to email me with your user information so I could help you and you never did.
tsondt

join:2012-01-16

Re: Cancellation

What kind of protocol are you talking about?

I've been waiting for one month, and recenty receive one reply in my ticket saying I need to call them.

And guess what? Nobody answers the phone.

Maybe I can wait for one year and receive an email saying that I won't receive any refund because at that time it's over.

I don't know how this type of criminal activity can exist.
dominic108

join:2012-02-09
Sherbrooke, QC

If it leads to a neutral review of Acanac, great.

I don't know how many people are unhappy with Acanac. I just know that I am not happy with them and I see that I am not alone. What is typical is that whenever someone says in public that he is unhappy, some guy from Acanac comes and say that we should instead kindly ask their help. Of course, this is ridiculous because we obviously asked their help before. Still they manage to create the impression that the problem is that we did not ask their help appropriately. So, this smells very bad. What I would like is a way to get a neutral, unbiased view of how many people have problems with Acanac and in what kind of situations these problems emerge. The only way to achieve that is to have some authoritative agency, say a reputed journal, perhaps some governmental agency, do a review of Acanac. I don't care about a class action, but if it is a way to get a review of Acanac based on real complaints, then great.

Acanac auto-renew without a remind letter or email

Acanac has put a transaction of 900$ on my Credit Card on Feb 14nd 2012. The only communication I received was a bill invoice paid automatically. I had no word to say.

I sent them an email the same day to ask them to cancel my Internet and to refund me. I never received a remind letter or email to warn me that they would bill me soon. I wanted to cancel my internet with then from second month of usage because of numerous slow speed issue and hard time to connect to simple website. *I can tell you that gaming was hell all the way*.

After 15 days I sent my email, I didn't receive any update on the status of it. I tried to call their billing department, I got an automatic message that ask us to send them an email and hang up the line.

I then called their sales department *I know for a fact that company always want to make money ...* When I talked to the agent, she told me that she cannot process cancellation by phone ... WTH ... and that I had to wait for them to reply to my email ... I asked her if she could put my query at higher priority and she told me it wasn't possible and sending more email on my side would only end up resetting my ticket to be put at the bottom of the line ...

I'm telling anyone that consider to do business with Acanac TO NOT DO IT. They have clear way of doing business and there is law to protect consumer and they clearly don't follow them.

On my side, right now, I'm requesting a charge back procedure from my VISA card. If you didn't use a Credit Card *Amex, VISA, Mastercard*, You are stuck to do legal action against them in the hope to recover your money some day *usually a few years later*.

I would advice people stuck in this situation to do a collective action against Acanac.

On my side, I'm going to put a complaint at the same time to the Consumer Protection to pressure them to take action to fix their business policy.

Montreal, QC

Very negative experienced with Acanac, Asking Charge Back.

I subscribed in 2011 for a 1 year discount Internet deal with Acanac. From start I had an horrible Internet experience. Slow speed, open ticket about it, never resolved. I had the intention to cancel it.

Acanac auto-renew without a remind letter or email

atreides10

join:2013-10-21

Consistency

After browsing through several Acanac reviews, it would appear that customer service 'shines' in QC, but in other areas is quite lacking.

Several reviews indicate that tech support through text messaging does not have the customer continuing a thread with the same technician throughout.

Have had this same experience as well. Inconsistent answers / suggestions for corrective action, and even txt responses from Acanac asking questions answered in previous text. Looking through the text history, it is quite apparent that the responses are being handled by more than one person, and that each new person is not (can not?) review previous chat history before replying.

IMO this renders the SMS option for support useless; the option to contact tech support through SMS should just be removed completely until it can be improved - it seems to result in several negative reviews. Again, this refers to areas outside Quebec.