Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by Pokerplayer See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "connection speed (Cable)"
Bad "support, communication with customers and within the organisation, billing practices,"
Overall "STAY AWAY!!!"

I have to say the connection speed was as promised at 8Mbps, consistently. That's the only thing I had to say that was positive about this company. 31.95/month * 12 = $383.40/year one shot payment.

Everything you've read about the phone time waits and the poor customer service is absolutely true, when you place a call to order a connection, they are pretty fast, but that is where they focus their phone reps, once they have you, they don't mind making you wait for 20-30 minutes on hold, and that's after waiting 20-30 minutes to get a rep in the first place. After you've waited that long they never have an answer upon return, you have to submit a ticket, which is NEVER answered in 48h as promised, usually 4-5 BUSINESS days, not counting extra days for weekends.

I have severe problems with their billing procedures, paying upfront for a year of service, I didn't really mind the first year, it was clearly indicated and expected, when you get to your 2nd year, it can catch you off guard when you see 500$ zip off your credit card. The main problem I have with their billing is the overusage charges. In Quebec you have a cap of 50GB/month and $4.50/GB after that for a max of $50(for this plan 8Mbps, no max on the higher speed so watch out).

Here's where I have a big problem, they sent me a e-mail for an extra usage charge 8 months after the fact, followed by 5 more stating the same within 48h, all requesting $50... that they already charged, that's a total of 300$+tax without warning or any chance to change my usage habits. The last e-mail I received was to inform me that I my last payment failed, I checked my credit card and had plenty of money, I called my credit card and they told me they had put a stop because they "THOUGHT I WAS THE VICTIM OF INTERNET FRAUD". Ironic that I kind of was. I explained to the VISA rep what was going on and he offered to reverse the charges and to change my credit card number, I agreed.

If they billed me the overusage monthly, that would have been fine and the end of it, I would have consumed less and not gotten charged for 6 months on a single time table. They wanted more than that, but got cut off by my VISA, thank god they got caught. Thank you VISA for having my back or else these crooks would have bled me dry.

Contacting them for more information and to rectify the situation was as described... LONG AND PAINFUL and got absolutely no results stating that I used the service and had to pay for it. When I asked why it took them 8 months to bill me my overusage, they claimed that Videotron doesn't give them access to this information on a regular basis, so when they get the information they pass it off to their customers. I contacted Videotron's wholesale department and they clearly told me that all there resellers have access to this information instantly, not every 6-8 months, which makes sense of a big box wholeseller to provide this information correctly and promptly to it's resellers.

I had my account closed as I was approaching my renew date and there was no way in H**L that I was going to keep giving money to an organisation that didn't respect it's customers enough that they would let them (unknowingly) accumulate such a debt and then try to force them to pay up. It's a broken company, they ended up closing my account 10 days prior to my renew date for obvious reasons, I didn't want to pay into their little scam. Even as I was closing my account they tried to tell me that account was already terminated LOL, and that it had been suspended since my last payment was rejected (this last bill was in November for the month of september, we were now in late february) and then told me I could reactivate my account when I paid the last bill. I thought that was hilarious since I still had full internet access and they were completely clueless that I not only had access but that all my charges were reversed (this is now 3-4 months later, they should have been fully aware of this by now).

This should be the end of my review... but it's not.

You see in my household we had Cable and DSL from Acanac, once I was cut from my Cable account, I started sharing the DSL my connection with my roomates, you see they had Bell before and had speeds of 6mbps, I was the one who suggested they switch to acanac for cheaper unlimited access that would probably be the same speed as it's the same line. They've had the connection for 2 years, had outages lasting a couple days, but since we had 2 connections, it didn't matter. They are more casual surfers and sometimes watch a couple videos here and there. When we started sharing, I noticed that the speed wasn't up to par with what they were paying for. According to speedtest.net it was 2.5Mbps Down, and 0.68 up. less tha half of what they were getting with Bell and what Acanac advertised. My roommate sent a message to acanac VIA their less than fabulous website communication portal, at 4 or 5 different occasions using the e-mail address where he received bills, letting them know that he wasn't receiving the speed he was paying for, what speeds he was getting according to speedtest.net, and if they could please look into it for him, he also mentionned that he used to get 6Mbps from Bell and it was the same line and that he suspected there was a CAP on his line. He never so much as got a Ticket number(this is how they communicate with their customers, you submit a problem, they issue a ticket and then alegedly respond within 48H), they just chose to completely ignore any requests for them to look into the matter. Now some of you might say that it's the same address as a "delinquent" customer, maybe but it's not the same customer, it's a different customer with a different situation and still he gets treated with complete disregard.

His renewal date was on March 13, 2012,

(12 * ($32.95/month+8$/m dryloop)) = $491.40

he got swiped his $500 for the year, his last ticket request was for CANCELLATION, he received a ticket, now let's see if they honor the 30 days moneyback Garantee he sent it april 7th, that should leave plenty of time to get his money back.

We'll see, if not, I guarantee I'll be back.

I ordered a Cable connection we'll be sharing from ELECTRONIC BOX at 36.95/month with 250GB bandwidth.... billed monthly and if you pass the limit(which will be tough) it's $0.50/GB up to max of $25. Ordered the 1st of april, Videotron confirmed install for the 9th, so pretty fast setup time. We'll see what happens, but I expect 8Mbps since my last connection had that speed on the same line.

Just be happy Acanac that you have 2 negative reviews in 1, it'll help you in maintaining a pitiful 63% "happy" rating

CONCLUSION, stay away from acanac and look at the negative reviews, people who are happy... never dealt with support and I'm happy for them, they'll regret their positive review once they have to. If you live in Quebec and go through Cable, beware if you think you are using the bandwidth correctly, you might get a surprise way down the line, if you have DSL, make sure you get what you pay for, there is more competition now, and competence will not be found here.

Comments:
Lynn

Acanac inc.

You said you called to place your order? We do not take orders over the phone. .
You said"paying upfront for a year of service, I didn't really mind the first year, it was clearly indicated and expected, when you get to your 2nd year, it can catch you off guard when you see 500$ zip off your credit card. " In the user agreement which you have to click agree before it lets you go any further it clearly states accounts will be renewed the following year UNLESS you email billing to cancel your account.

Thebogg

@distributel.net

Re: Acanac inc.

I'm sorry all these people with "bad experiences" seem to always think its Acanac's fault... It's like shooting the messenger. The cable system is controlled by Rogers, cogeco, shaw... When one of them have issues, it's not Acanac... When the service slows down (cable), it's congestion (cable is prone to it) not Acanac. I have found Acanac to be a great service, tech support is not an issue, we've only been down once, but it was Rogers (London had issues) not Acanac.
If these people had Rogers, they would have the same problems, pay more, have throttling, and bandwidth caps.
Not to mention Acanac is a proud supporter OpenMedia.ca - stop throttling and sharing your private information.. The main reason I moved to Acanac.
Acanac is a good service and a good value, just try to get a better service for the money.

Re: Acanac inc.

Thank you so much Thebogg. I just wish more people understood that.

Gatineau, QC
Thanks Thebogg for taking the time to reply to this review, however, like Lynn, you didn't take the time to read the review. Why take time to comment on a review without taking the time to read it? The slow down wasn't for the Cable connection, if you even read the first line you would know that it got 8Mbps consistently, however the DSL connection was 2.5Mbps constantly, regardless of time, on the same line line that Bell was able to give 6Mbps consistently. That being said, they didn't even issue a ticket for these requests to verify the connection. So yes I blame Acanac for these failures, they are the ones responsible for their own communication portal aren't they. Is that ok with you? And their are the ones issuing blame for their billing failures, shifting it to Videotron. 8 Months to receive a bill and try to charge 6 months within a 48h period, isn't that just bad business.

Gatineau, QC
You really need to go back to school, you have to read the whole message before posting your rediculous replies, When I mentionned CAP, what was I talking about.... SPEED, not bandwidth.
BUT... All your plans are unlimited? this is copy paste from today.

Speed 8Mbps/1Mbps
Bandwidth Traffic 100GB
Extra Bandwidth per Month $4.50 per GB - maximum of $50

This doesn't look unlimited?!?! I noticed that in the last week or so you've updated the 50GB BANDWIDTH CAP to 100GB, but not UNLIMITED, just further proof that ACANAC's left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is up to. But it is unlimited once you hit the extra $50/month download, so you do have a plan that is unlimited in Quebec for $82.95/month + tax.

All the replies I see from you on this forum are half assed, sometimes totally out of context. READ, dont just prepare your replies before your done READING... Please. When I called it was to get information, I didn't place an order at that time.

And I've read up on the laws of the land (Quebec) and you can have the first year contract, but it is illegal to automatically renew a customer on a yearly basis for a telecom service, it must be renewed on a monthly basis, and you must advise customers 60-90 days in advance before their contract is up stating the renewal date and the renewal cost, then they can opt-in or out of a yearly contract.

Re: Acanac inc.

That is probably true for companies that have contracts but we do NOT have contracts.

Re: Acanac inc.

That's all you will comment on, what about all the other bull you stated. Unlimited everything... the speed, the CAP the NOT READING. Stop spamming my review. It's based on personal experience with the company and can't and will not be changed.

Gatineau, QC
BTW Lynn, I just noticed your great review... for COGECO. I guess even you think Acanac is too crappy to have in your own home.

said by Pokerplayer:

I have both. Problems can happen with any provider and if they do i will be prepared.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gatineau, QC
Hey Lynn, I just got a voice mail from ELECTRONICBOX. They told me to call them back to see if I was connected yesterday, and they would give me my USAGE account code... Did you get that, a usage account... How do they get instantaneous detailed usage from Videotron, and you don't??? It must be preferential treatment... or their techs don't have their heads up their asses. And as for your little buddy @distributel, I always wondered why when doing the speedtest.net test it would show Distributel, maybe he's the middle man in the way of your detailed account usage and you can blame him now lol. Blame blame blame, just not Acanac right By the way it takes 5 minutes to get a ELECTRONICBOX rep on the phone. Good luck in business... haha just kidding !!!

2 edits

Re: Acanac inc.

My buddy from distributel? Sorry but don't have one. I am more than willing to try to help but there is only so much I can do and i do not have access to usage files.
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Acanac inc.

Once again Lynn you can't READ, I said your friend from distributel. Why do Acanac have so many problems, they're illiterate.

Re: Acanac inc.

If you want help pm me. If you don't pm me I can't help.

Re: Acanac inc.

I'll tell you this... why would I bother asking for my usage, when you guys only get it from videotron every 6-8 months, that's what I was told, that's what I repeat, I'm not going to make up stories. If I'm not being charged I have to assume that my usage is not surpasing any limits. I'm just presenting the facts as they are... if I get more post from you I'm going to post the 16-20 pages of ticket communication between me and Acanac, yes I saved ever single one as a word file... so back off and find someone else to harasse for your paycheck. Must be nice to get paid to nag and bitch at ex-customers who weren't satisfied either with the internet or customer service. Go look at how many complaints other providers have... so few the actual CEO has time to handle the complaints, not some-sit-at-home-damage-control-minimum-wage-make-the-company-look-good-at-all-cos t-typing-jockey. Instead of paying you, why doesn't your boss look at these issues himself and fix the problems, they are very real and serious issues that need to be addressed. The customer is more than money, he's recurring money, unless the customer decides to go elsewhere then he's someone elses money. It'll be very hard to grow the business if all you do is replace the unsatisfied. And word spreads like wildfire and that's why you're here with your hoses. Once again, stop harassing me, or I will post all the tickets... and the include the actual response times, the 72h to get "I don't know", "we'll get back to you" the you can get your account reactivated ... when I still have a live connection. Maybe I'll start a campaing against you posting your responses to people that make no sense and send them to feedback@acanac.com, so your boss can see his money is going to good use.

Re: Acanac inc.

Pokerplayer I am not trying to harass you. I am sorry you feel I am.
I have asked you If you want help. I might not be able to see your usage but I CAN try to bring this to the bosses attention. Yes, you are correct. These are serious issues and do need to be addressed.
I will not bother you again but if you want my help please pm me with user name so I can have the boss look at your account to see what is going on.