Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by cbourdeau See Profile

• Location: Chateauguay,QC
Good "It works as good as a cellphone..."
Bad "Not as goos as a POTS ilne"
Overall "Good for the price if you have other means of comunications"

·Acanac
In 2009 I was tired of getting an almost 200$ bill from videotron each month so I started looking around for cheaper services. A few people where I work told me about Acanac so I took a look at it. Since me and my girlfriend each had a cellphone I decided to go VOIP beacause having a home line was a bit over the top with both cell phones and Videotron's prices for home lines are not exactly cheap when you get long distance calling in Quebec for 10$ a month..

Anyways I decided to make the switch and ordered VOIP and DSL internet. After setting up the internet I found out that where I lived I couldn't get more than 1mbs down so cancelled it without problems. I kept the VOIP because it was working fine. In the beginning Acanac was having problems with the VOIP service and took 1-2 months to fix them.

Since then, I havn't had any problems with it except that recently I switched to Acanac for my cable internet and got the 1 year free VOIP plan with it. They switched my VOIP account to a different server and never told me! I found it out myself when my phone wasn't working and I logged in my VOIP control panel. It was sending me to another server!

I think they offer a pretty stable VOIP service and I don't see myself ending it soon. I recommend it, but only for people that are techsavy and can support themselves.

March 8th 2013

Still using acanac VOIP and still satisfied of the service. Only thing is that I opened a ticket because I can't call the "info santé" line of my region and it was never fixed. I opened another ticket to ask them to check the first one and didn't get resolution for the ticket up to now (It's been a few months). So again good for people that can support themselves and don't expect quick problem fixing.

member for 2.8 years, 137 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
Lynn0
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

Acanac Inc.

Thank you for the review. We do appreciate it.
fredsmith

join:2010-10-23
canada
·Acanac

No 811 access

You will not get any shortcut (numbers like 311, 411, 511, 811) access directly on VoIP - doesn't matter whose VoIP it is. And 911 goes to an intermediate call center (called e911) that will perform triage before forwarding your call to the local 911 service, which is a bummer if you are choking or having a heart attack - the same applies to cell service.

The solution is to edit the 'dial plan' in your ATA to substitute the local number for the service when you dial 811 - the same applies to any number and you can create shortcuts to other numbers as well . . . but don't expect support (from ANY provider) to help you with that.

Beyond all this, VoIP is not IMO reliable enough to rely on for emergencies - and the disclaimers issued by ALL VoIP providers is testament to this.