Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by pmicho See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "price"
Bad "customer service"
Overall "avoid at any cost"

·ELECTRONICBOX
·ELECTRONICBOX
My DSL subscription with Acanac started in January 2012, with a one year contract paid in advance...my big mistake. In the first weeks, I had speed problems. I spent hours waiting for customer service on the phone. My problem was resolved after 3 weeks. At the end of May, I started having random disconnections. I was not able to count on a stable connection for one month. Again, I had to spend hours waiting on the phone for customer service. When my problem was solved, I asked for a month refund. It was refused. They told me I could get a credit...meaning I would have to extend my stay with Acanac. I was not happy, but I decided to stay till the end of my contract in January 2013. In August, I started having random disconnections again. The problem remained after a bell technician came to my place. I decided that this was too much. I called it quits and asked for termination of my contract and a refund for the months remaining already paid for, for June without proper connection and refund of the modem. This was refused and I got this answer: “After the initial 30 day period a customer must complete the remainder of the term. Customer(s) may choose to cancel the account prior to the end of term however, no refund will be issued for that period.”

I dont care if Acanac says that its not responsible because Bell is not providing a good working line. Bottom line is I paid for a service that was not properly provided.

If your cable or DSL line is stable, then you might have a good experience with Acanac. But if you run into trouble, I wish you the best of luck. You will spend hours waiting for customer service to be available and even then your problem might never be solved.

Maybe its only a few hundred dollars, but I will go to Small claims court to get my money back, even if takes years until I see the face of that money. Acanac will pay back for service not provided.

update: oct 1st 2012

I finally got my refund...after formally threatening to go to small claims court. I got 6 months back. I did not get anything for the modem that was sent back.

Even after having news that I would indeed get a refund, it kept being complicated with Acanac.

I insist, avoid this company. Reviews on this site confirm that something is wrong there.

Dealing with Acanac is a plain simple pain.

Comments:

alex in tor

@primus.ca

Acanac service

Contact Ellen Rosemary @ The Star. She has a column which addresses consumer issues. She will get you a refund of print your complaint in the paper.

Http://www.thestar.com

DSL Modem Refund

quote:

Since August of 2008 charges for DSL modems were Purchases, not a Deposit as they were previous to August 2008.

Re: DSL Modem Refund

The modem was almost new. Sent in June as a replacement. Used until mid august. I guess you're going to tell me Acanac will throw it in the garbage.

Re: DSL Modem Refund

What I'm trying to say is it was your modem, you paid for it, why not try and sell it rather than sending it back.

Re: DSL Modem Refund

Ok guys, Fergless wants to be right. Lets tell him he's right. Fergless you are right! Feel better?

quote:
Feel better?
Other than a small pain in the neck I feel fine. (arthritis)

Customer

@connection.ca

Re: DSL Modem Refund

Are you employed by Acanac or what?

Re: DSL Modem Refund

Always defendind the «undefendable»...he obviously works for the company.

customer 1

@connection.ca
Hello Fergless,

Can you help me with 2 months old refund problem?

Yes, I got your message.
Customer 1

join:2012-10-11

Hello Fergless,

How can I contact you by email?

Re: DSL Modem Refund

You can contact me by Instant Message as you did before.
carcajou

join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

Terms of contract for Quebec

Pmicho, you wrote:

My answer is that these terms are valid if Acanac respects the contract. It has not been the case, since Acanac was not able to provide proper service. ( quote )

You are wrong: these terms are not valid in Quebec no matter if Acanac respect their contract or not. If you read the relevant articles in the Quebec Consumers Act that regulate long-terms service contracts, you will read:

214.7. If the consumer unilaterally cancels a fixed-term contract in consideration of which one or more economic inducements were given to him by the merchant, the cancellation indemnity may not exceed the value of the economic inducements determined by regulation that were given to him. The indemnity decreases as prescribed by regulation.

When no economic inducement determined by regulation was given to the consumer, the maximum indemnity the merchant may charge is the lesser of $50 and an amount representing not more than 10% of the price of the services provided for in the contract that were not supplied. ( Quebec Consumers Protection Act )

Remember in 2010 when all cellphones companies had to change their contracts for Quebecers ? It was because we were fed up with their outrageous cancellation policies. The modifications to the Law to stop those practices affected ALL similar service contracts. So, in Quebec the Acanac clause is simply null and void.

Refund

As I mentioned earlier in your other topic, a full refund has been issued.
carcajou

join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

Re: Refund

Dear valued Fergless from Acanac

One more time...I dont really care at this point about when will the money be back in my Visa.

Ideally, I want to be your " Dear valued Customer " just long enough to be able to complete what I started.

And, as a valued customer, I now ask you publicly here to state in clear language what is your definition of " Activation date " that is on your website.

It s a contract clause. I now demand clarification on that contract I signed.

What s the big secret about your contract ?