Acanac page on DSLReports

Review by cguillas See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Low price, no caps, fast"
Bad "Telephone support non-existant"
Overall "Awesome if you know what you're doing"

I've been an Acanac for several years and have been through some ups and downs but overall I'm happy recommending the service.

I started with them in Montreal as a DSL service on annual billing. I gave them a couple of weeks notice and a requested install date and Bell was able to be there the following day. It went perfectly. I moved a couple of years later and again no problems. I moved again to Gatineau and big problems started with the line quality. Acanac had a Bell tech issued within two days.

This is where things got hairy. The first Bell tech refused to look at the service because it was too dark outside. He never dispatched another tech. I called Acanac back and they sent another. This time the tech inspected the service box visually and said there was nothing wrong. Another call. This time the tech swapped wires in the cable to my house but put me on two wires from different pairs. Call. Tech refused to work in dark. Call. Tech refused to work in cold. Call. Tech ran temporary wire across my back yard in the snow. It held at 600kbit which was good enough so they closed the ticket; it was all Bell would do.

The saving grace was at the time the temporary line was run that same tech disconnected the main line to the building thinking that I was the only customer. The basement apartment had DSL directly from Bell. She called them three times to report she had no service so they sent a truck and immediately replaced the multi-line cable. I was back up to 6Mb immediately.

Bell didn't communicate with Acanac and sent lousy third party techs repeatedly for weeks. Their own customer was fixed in days. This is entirely Bell's fault - however if you don't want this kind of headache, don't pick a third party DSL provider. TekSavvy and Acanac will always be mistreated by Bell.

I moved to Ontario not long afterwards. I signed up for Acanac cable. My HuaWei modem ($75) arrived in 4 days by courier and the Rogers tech showed up on a Saturday. I had no cable service in the building so I helped him fish the wire. Two days later I was provisioned and I haven't lost the connection in months... and it's screaming fast. It gets slow in the evenings as Rogers gets congested but even running slow it's faster than the fastest DSL I could get.

It took about 6 weeks for the refund to appear on my card for the overlap of my DSL and cable service. I did not request a refund for DSL downtime.

The telephone support sucks. You will wait 45-60 minutes for a technical rep. Billing/customer service is better at around 5-15 minutes. This could be improved. Otherwise the service is as reliable as Bell or Rogers or Videotron offerings at a fraction of the price and with much more data. It is worth every penny I pay... but not much more.

Comments: