T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by tiger72 See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Great customer service. Great call quality. No dropped calls. Top-notch reception in cities."
Bad "3g network size"
Overall "I recommend them to everyone."

I've had t-mobile for 9 years, and I have been very happy with them since I started. Their customer service has always been friendly and helpful. I've always had good reception, and dropped calls are a thing of the past. The call quality is crisp and clear. Everytime I think my call has dropped, I ask if the other person is still on the phone, and they are. Absolutely zero background noise.

Their EDGE data network is very fast, and on my old phone (HTC Dream) I can could stream 128kbps streaming music hiccup free over EDGE. Try doing that on ATT.

As of last August, TMO expanded their 3g to my area. And then in December they doubled the size of it in my city. Pretty impressive considering how late they came to the game imo. Download speeds are now between 600-800kbps on average. Uploads from 300-500kbps. Not bad for 3g. Typically slower than ATT on the downloads, although it seems the uploads are faster.

UPDATE: As of May, they've upgraded speeds in much of the area. My current speed tests are showing ~3.8mbps down, ~350kbps up. About twice as fast as my girlfriend's Sprint EvDO Hero gets.

UPDATE: As of July, they rolled out HSPA+, and speeds jumped higher. Now speeds are routinely 4-6mbps, with 600kbps uploads. Their uploads still need to improve, imo, but their downloads max out my phone's 7.2mbps radio.

Their 3g coverage has continued to expand over the past 8 months, too. Now the entire metro is covered with their 3g, so I don't see EDGE unless i'm on the road outside the city. Of course, their network is still smaller than ATT's, but it seems like it's constantly growing and getting faster.

People like to bitch about their small native coverage area, but I think they haven't learned how to read a map. From Chicago, IL to Grand Junction, CO - Austin, TX to Saint Louis, MO - I get coverage wherever I drive.

Overall, I am extremely happy with TMO.

Comments: