T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by wierdo See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Fast, no commitment"
Bad "coverage not as widespread as at&t, must keep prepaid account active"
Overall "great backup"

I've had a Nokia N900 for a while now and have been suffering with EDGE speed for data since the phone only supports 3G on 1700MHz and 2100MHz.

With T-Mobile finally getting around to offering data with their prepaid product, I figured I'd give it a try. Am I ever glad I did. For a mere $1.25 I get unlimited 3G data for 24 hours. On my N900, the service is good for 2-3Mbps, which is faster than the wifi at most hotspots.

Setup was a breeze; it was literally a matter of sticking the SIM in my phone and telling the phone to connect to the Internet. The process of purchasing the data plan wasn't entirely clear, but it's actually quite simple. You go to wap.t-zones.com (which works in a standard browser), click through to your account and buy a plan.

The only downsides are that you have to recharge at least $10 every 90 days to keep the account active, so if you use it less than a few days a month, you'll end up accumulating extra money on your account, and that voice minutes are terribly expensive unless you buy a big block all at once. At 33c a minute, a day's data plan costs the same as 4 minutes of talking. Crazy, but ultimately not an issue if you don't talk much or at all and just use the service for data.

Although it doesn't make sense for me, $50 will buy you 2GB to use over up to 30 days and better voice pricing is available if you buy a month at a time.

member for 13.7 years, 1853 visits, last login: 175 days ago