T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Cheap, good coverage except east of the UTexas campus, European coverage."
Bad "Nothing right now!"
Overall "Excellent on the road, at the airport, and tethering works great!"

We have 5 phone lines (2 Note 3s, 1 Note II, 1 Google Nexus GSM & 1 LG Optimus 9) and one tablet line (iPAD Air).

T-Mobile service is working out better than I expected. Support at the T-Mobile store is far better than my past experience with Verizon and AT&T. Web site and pre-sales support is their weak spot.

Unlimited voice/text/data is $110+ total: that's for 4 phone lines and maybe 4 tablet lines (promo through 2015). More lines are $10 each. 2.5GB of 4G data is the current promo for high speed data, after end of 2015, this reverts to 1GB of 4G data for phones and 512MB for tablets.

Includes free tablet line for each phone line, so I'm paying $140 (plus about $25 in extra fees) for the 6 lines total including the JUMP charge for the three newest phones (I may drop that, it's not a great deal). Free tethering, free data and text in Europe. THAT'S CHEAP.

SpeedTest.net tells me I get 70 ms pings and 2-7 Mbit down with 1-2 Mbit up these days. That's a bit slower than I got last year, probably because T-Mobile's "uncarrier" promos are overloading their backbone and towers. Still plenty fast though I think the spec for HSPA+ is 21 Mbit and LTE is twice that..

I would like better coverage (central Austin seems to be a black hole!). Otherwise, service is as good as it started out being.

Netflix looks as good as it could on a 5" screen. And of course tethering to my laptop in airports is a really good deal, too. Thank you, T-Mobile!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

8-9 Mbit down?

Do you really get 8-9 Mbit down? Are you sure that's right? It doesn't seem possible since their "4G" is just the old 3G that was renamed but still runs at the same speed as evidenced by the fact there is no 3G anymore. Here in the Phoenix area there is no 3G now, just "4G" some places at about 2.7Mb and Edge everywhere else at 127Kb and it's too slow for any of the Android apps to work.
Their 3G used to connect at 7Mb and give a speed of about 3Mb but now the "4G" actually seems to be slower at 2.7Mb.
cmarslett

·NetTalk
·Clear Wireless
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: 8-9 Mbit down?

Not reliably, as I mentioned. I can download a 1.1 GB file and get that kind of speed at 2AM. I've done it 2-3 times just to verify it. That's tethered to my laptop, since even a high end phone with a fast SDcard can't handle that rate (as far as I can tell - Gnex can't, and a Nexus One with a C10 microSD both peak out at about a quarter of that).

But when the towers get really congested I have even seen the up/down drop to around 300kbit/600kbit (yeah, upload faster than download!).

And you're right about the 3G going away, here too, if I use HSPA+ I get a good signal in my office (Gnex). If I connect with the older 3G or HSPA(-) using my Nexus One, it drops out regularly. I suspect they are killing circuits right and left.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
I have no problem downloading at over 20Mb/s down in northern Virginia, NYC, and Chicago using my HTC amaze 4g

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T DSL Service

difference between 3G/4G TMO and ATT service

this may help explain the difference in terminology TMO and ATT (before LTE) use to describe there 3G and 4G service.
HSPA = 3G
HSPA+ =4G
»www.differencebetween.com/differ···hnology/
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Re: difference between 3G/4G TMO and ATT service

That's not true for T-Mobile who seem to have come up with their own standards. Here in AZ for 3G they use HSPA+ on 1700Mhz. It connects at 7Mb and gives you an actual speed of about 3Mb down, 1-2Mb up. For 4G they use something called WCDMA on 1760Mhz but that only works in or around T-Mobile stores since there isn't much coverage anywhere else. The 4G speed measures just 4-5Mb though even with 5 bars at the store, it's not really fast like they claim.