T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "price, plans, customer service,no contract, metro connection quality,GSM carrier"
Bad "rural coverage "
Overall "strongly recommended"

On edit 2014/10/15 getting better and better. Due to increase in customer numbers, sometimes longer waits for CS.

On edit 2014-06-04
I have changed my legacy plan to the new unlimited minutes, texting and 500MB data capped for $ 40/month plus about $ 9.90/month in taxes and junk fees.
There is an overall improvement noticeable lately, although some issues remain. TMO is by far the best of the big four, nobody coming even close.

On edit 2013/10/06
Connection reliability has improved somewhat lately, I am upgrading the rating.

I have service with TMO US for over 6 years I have a legacy 1500 minute voice plan for 39.95 plus about $ 9.80 in taxes and junk fees and an unlocked Nokia C3-01.
I cannot comment much on data, because I use data on the phone only via wi-fi.
TMO used to have an exceptional customer service, unfortunately it got significantly worse lately . Also the signal and connection quality decreased over the last 18 months. The problems are most pronounced with 2G services- there are rumors that TMO moved away a part of their 1900 Mhz PCS spectrum.The formerly excellent coverage maps were replaced with optimistic, unreliable propaganda maps( like the other carriers). Some rough business practices popped up lately, like the lightning fast disconnecting of service once the account is past due.
Rural coverage is not great in many areas. I use a Verizon prepaid as a back up.Calls get forwarded to once I am out of coverage- a great feature.
Choice of phones is not great, but an advantage of a GSM carrier is the availability of vast selection of unlocked GSM phones on Amazon.
Having said all of that, I still consider T-Mobile USA the best choice out of the 'big four'

member for 1.7 years, 634 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dickybilly

·magicjack.com

TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

I too have been a TMO legacy customer for 7 years. Currently I pay $65/mo incl fees for unlimited voice. Text is 20cents/msg, data @ $2/mb since I don't use much data. Locally in the Dallas TX region I've never had an issue with quality of voice, text and 3G data. When I travel to south FL the TMO 2G and voice service is terrible but the 3G/4G is better.
I'm about to kill my current plan (I haven't had a contract with TMO for years) for a TMO prepaid $30/mo 1500 minutes voice/text and 30mb data/month. One has to be crazy to continue to pay for the higher TMO rate plans.
I've also had TMO@home broadband voice for years. Service has never been a problem but paying $13/mo incl fees for home voice is steep considering cheaper MagicJackPlus service (which I've tested as fine but watch out for them nickel and diming you over service costs).
I'm about to drop TMO@home because once I go prepaid for TMO cell service they won't allow me to keep TMO@home service. I'm porting my phone# to MagicjackPlus service for less than 1/2 the cost/year than TMO@home. I may be one of the few people who are satisfied with MJPlus.
TMO technical support is getting rough over the phone or chat online. Sometimes good most times spotty. Customer service in-store is spotty..if you find a good rep stick with him or her otherwise keep looking in other stores until you find one you can depend on who knows TMO. BTW, don't trust anything an in-store rep sez w/o doing your own investigation of plans and rates. DO NOT sign up for anything w/o leaving the store and checking first.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Actually your post is incorrect. TMO does care what phones you attach to their network. They have a clause that any phone that is NOT purchased from their actual Corp. Stores or via www.t-mobile.com they do not have to support not allow it on their network. They have had that clause since using the Voice Stream brand. Phones from dealers also fall into that category of does not have to be supported.

please reread my post
"I've twice brought my own GSM phone over the internet and connected them to TMO w/o any issue on their part. They don't care what phone you connect to their network."

cb14

·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·magicjack.com
Before you decide to go with prepaid please consider that prepaid TMO plans are in network only, meaning NO ROAMING which will make the not so great rural coverage far worse. With the worsening performance of the TMO voice services in South FL I already have to use a Verizon prepaid phone as a back up.
It is your choice, but before you spend money porting your number to Magic Junk you may want to port it to Google Voice, get a Obi 100 for $ 40.- and enjoy a free service with voice quality way above MJ. Plus , you can put a second provider on your Obi, e.g. the free NYC DID from Callcentric on pay as you go for outgoing calls.
To the other poster : TMO does not provide technical support for a non- TMO phone, which means if you have a problem with the handset you have to contact the manufacturer, but otherwise they SUPPORT them.

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily my South FL travel areas don't include (I think) roaming areas but I have to investigate further. Generally my SFL area is the I-95 corridor between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, west to the BB&T Center in Sunrise where voice/data is the worst but still in network.
As for MagicJack, for my local area it's fine and I welcome your suggestion, thanks.

The biggest issue I have with roaming is many people (including TMO instore staff) have told me roaming is not included ... and I believe it...however the TMO website for the prepaid plans sez "National coverage with no roaming charges"...
I suppose in TMO doubletalk they mean no roaming charges because they don't allow roaming off their national network. the TMO phone must go dead for out of network calling when on a prepaid plan.

cb14

·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric

Re: TMO is fine but change to their cheaper prepaid plans

You are correct. In the area you described you do not need roaming indeed.
Love the doubletalk ! Basically it means that you do not have to pay for what they do not offer. Very generous, I would say.