Verizon BroadbandAccess page on DSLReports

Review by HB See Profile

• Location: 00000
Good "Reliable, fast, low latency"
Bad "5GB cap and $10/GB overage fees"
Overall "Way better than I had anticipated"

When my Megapath/COVAD T1 went down for the zillionth time my small business was stuck yet again without phones, fax or Internet service. I had to ship an urgent job with Fedex and needed to file my SED for export (requires the Internet). Long story short I ran over to Verizon Wireless to pick up a Verizon branded 4510L MiFi 4G LTE hotspot. They explained how it worked, up front pricing and set me up with an account. It all went down in about 30 minutes and I walked out with the device.

Got it fired up and it synced in about 45 seconds to a minute and provided 12Mb down and 3Mb up. I was floored as this is in an interior office of a concrete tilt-up building. And obviously the MiFi device allows connection sharing so I was able to get a few of the office computers connected and I was able to ship my job. I was also surprised to see sub 100ms latency reliably. A far cry from the 200-300ms I see with my AT&T 3G iPhones.

It works so well I dropped the 3G plan for my iPad and am just going with the MiFi since the battery lasts me more than 4 hours with minimal power savings settings. It would probably do more if I turned on those power saving features.

The only drawback is the low usage cap, but since this is a backup for my horrible T1 I don't use that much data. Lucky for them it is capped because I would be using it all the time. The overage fee is darn steep too at $10/GB but they were upfront about it. I certainly knew what I was getting into before signing a 24 month deal.

Device: Verizon MiFi 4510L 4G LTE
Price: $50/mo+taxes and junk fees for 5GB/mo ($80 for 10GB is an option) Overage fees are $10/GB
Typical Speed: 12Mb/3Mb
Typical Latency: 90-100ms

Overall I am very pleased and if the iPhone 5 has 4G LTE I will definitely switch.

Comments: