Review by NYGiants
Good "portable, if LTE is in area go for it"
- Location: Bowling Green,Caroline,VA
- Cost: $72 per month
- Install: about 2 days
Bad "5 GB cap, can't check data usage"
Overall "faster than dial-up, more reliable than sattelite"
|Pre Sales Information:|
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)
- Novatel 4620L
- Joined in August 2012
-Connection can stay steady for hours at a time
- Subpar signal on 4G but get lucky to get over 2 bars (highest RSSI is 42% which equals 2 bars)
- Youtube usage has to be low but works fine
- 5Gigs is too low for 72 $ a month
- Ping times are average to good (depends on network, read speed tests Ev-Do vs LTE
- YAY no more DIALUP!!!!!!!!!!
- No connection issues, feels fast still (not EXTREMELY fast, but more like quick)
- almost no late day latency issues
- no changes to ratings
I searched google for locking the 4620L on LTE and it is not possible. But if this can hold up, I can brag about actual broadband to the most rural county in central Virginia, Caroline.
Latest bill that we went over cap was 90 dollars but was only a one time thing and am not adding that to the monthly cost info above.
3G EVDO Tests
-Updated firmware, shows signal strength in percent, shows MDN
- Traveled to Richmond and Fredericksburg (VA) and almost never lost LTE signal, all surrounding counties and mine are part of LTE.
- It will always connect to LTE if in window (5 ft from computer), but the caps are now a problem due to fast speeds (faster speed=faster to the cap)
-Latency is now not a issue at all
What other Options did you consider for broadband?
We already knew Hughes is a worthless piece of trash but Wildblue was close to being our next provider until we all read the reviews.
What SPEED/package did you order, at what monthly cost?
We bought a LTE modem with 5GB of data which cost 59 dollars a month.
How was the order & install process?
My aunt bought the modem and wifi stick from our local verizon store, just had to bring it home turn on and connect.
What brand/model was the supplied equipment?
The mifi device was a Novatel 4620L with LTE support.
What good or bad experiences most struck you?
ummmmmmmmmmm....... coverage and mobility, VA is a well covered state (Tmobile is horrid 2G, ATT is covered, Verizon is LTE, and Sprint is decent)
-Now i can lock the connection to whatever i want, the only flaw is the low 5gb cap
-still good but new firmware does not check data usage for some reason
member for 1.2 years, 98 visits, last login: 85 days ago
updated 239 days ago