Sprint Mobile Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by jandrfas See Profile

• Location: Downey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great speed and reliability"
Bad "Long wait for phone support"
Overall "Very satisfied. Great alternative to my slow DSL"

Frustrated with my slow Earthlink DSL (1.5 down/0.5 up with frequent outages), I was searching for a better alternative. I tried Sprint 4G knowing that I could "test drive" for 30 days before committing to a 2-year contract. The U1901 modem was very easy to install, but had trouble initially getting online. After spending 45 minutes on hold to talk to tech support, it turned out that they had just forgotten to activate my device's MAC address on their network. The modem has remained continuously connected ever since - not a single outage after being installed for a full month. I am now DSL-free and using this as my primary connection. Getting speeds around 6.0 down/1.25 up routinely.

My only minor complaint is the high latency. Ping times run around 85 - 100 ms. Also, the modem is very tempermental in terms of physical placement. You really have to experiment to find that one hot spot in your home (I am using a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router). A difference of a couple of inches one way or another makes a huge difference. I also discovered that plugging the USB modem directly into the router caused issues - the two radios were interfering with each other and severely affecting the speeds. The problem was easily solved by installing the modem at the end of a 5-foot USB extension cable to get it away from the router's antennas.

I also discovered through some simple experimenting that I can double my download speed and cut the ping times in half by taking the modem outdoors, just outside my front door. I am now in the process of installing an external antenna and looking forward to 10-12 download speeds with 40 ms ping times.

Comments: