Sprint Mobile Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by chris92 See Profile

• Location: Coal Valley,Rock Island,IL
Good "Speeds have gotten better now with Network Vision"
Bad "Speeds from about 4 years ago to 1 year ago were dismal"
Overall "I'm probably the last person on the Unlimited 3G Plan, but its been great!"

·Clear Wireless
·Mediacom
Starting out about 6 years ago, We decided to go with a Sprint 3G card for our home internet. We live about 3 miles south of town where Cable and DSL does not service. One WISP was available, but only offering 512K for $80. After seeing that Verizon was going to a tiered data plan for data cards, our only choice was Sprint 3G.

At my location, there are 2 possible Sprint towers: one that is in town (Coal Valley, IL) that's about 4 miles (as the crow flies) with a few lines of trees blocking, and the other (3 miles south of Milan, IL) is about 6 miles as the crow flies line-of-sight that is out in the middle of nowhere. When we first were using the card, we were going off of the tower that was 6 miles away. After about 2 years, things started to slow down, and that tower became virtually unusable - speeds were sub-300k. After finding a good spot to pick up the Coal Valley tower, speeds were just under 1Mbit for a couple years, with the help of a directional antenna.

This past year, Sprint has undergone Network Vision Upgrades in the area, and the tower south of Milan IL was upgraded. Since then I am getting around 2Mbit down with the directional antenna.

Tech Support: a few times during the 6 years, I have had troubles with modems, particularly the Franklin U600. Tech support in the Sprint store is absolute garbage. I was arguing with them every time I walked in. Tech support over the phone was great. They are US Based and very easy to work with.

member for 6.2 years, 538 visits, last login: a few hours ago