DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by stev32k See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "The install was the best I've had. On time and the tech earned his money"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Wish I had switched a long time ago"

·Mediacom
Update 3/12/13

I canceled the DTV service. The service was good but the price was too high and we do not watch enough TV to justify the $90/mo they were charging. When I called to cancel I had to put up with a 15 minute sales pitch trying to talk me into staying with the service. They offered to reduce my bill to $60/month, or give me a lower priced package for even less. I told the lady if they had reduced my bill a year ago I might not be cancelling now.

They sent me a pre-paid shipping box to return the receivers. I thought that was a nice touch.

---------------------------------

Everything about DTV has been very good so far. The installation was completed the day after I signed up. The tech that did the install did a very good job. He completely re-wired the whole house. The existing cable was over 15 years old and he replaced all of it (and did a good job) without my asking.

I had Mediacom cable service for 12 years and thought they had pretty good picture quality, but DTV is better. It might be because of the new cable - not sure - but what ever the reason it is better. I love the DVR service. I never had it before now and it has made me enjoy TV as much as I use to. The HD channel line up is much better than Mediacom and the best part is the price is lower than Mediacom. Even after the introductory period (12 months) the full price will still be lower.

Edit April 9, 2012

After a little over a year I still like DTV very much. No problems with the service, picture, or anything else so far. I think there was one outage that lasted for about 5 or 10 minutes during a bad thunder storm. The picture I get on my Panasonic Plasma TV is amazing and several people have commented on it - I think one has since switched to DTV from Comcast.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

All are about the same

These over the top accusations in ALL CAPS sound like they are coming from somebody who is unhinged... They are CROOKS! No, they are THIEVES! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!1I1! Frankly, you don't sound very convincing.

I've had DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner over last 10 years. They are all about the same. Time Warner has a bigger selection of free Video-on-demand; DirecTV is a little cheaper. They also have better technical support folks on the phone than Time Warner. TW was quicker to dispatch a technician (Level 1 support often made these decisions without even getting to L2), those guys were quite knowledgeable but in several cases the problem was on the server, and the trip wasn't really necessary.

TW has better web-based programming tools, but DirecTV has a more liberal watching policies - my wife often watches the shows on her computer at work.

From billing perspective didn't have any problems with either of them. Time Warner requested that I return the receivers to the office (which is next to my daughter's school, so it wasn't a big deal); I did but TW didn't process it properly. So, they put a charge of $50 for technician visit. The first person on the phone didn't have a clue, but the supervisor apologized and reversed the charges. DirecTV sent boxes for DVRs; they didn't need non-DVR receivers. Don't remember what happened with Dish, but didn't have any problems either.

THEY ARE THE SAME!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

upset

@sbcglobal.net

changing customer policy and hidden fees from Direct TV

Initially the service with Direct TV was good, but we found a better deal with AT&T U-verse.

When it came time to cancel, we asked multiple times if there was a cancellation fee.

Months later we received a bill for a cancellation fee. Now over a year later we are still getting harassed by a collection agency.

How come Direct TV does not listen to all those recorded phone conversations and acknowledge that one of their agents assured us that there would be no cancellation fee?????