AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by ArrayList See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Internet is fantastic. finally can order it alone."
Bad "usage-based billing."

UPDATE: 3/13/2010

News broke yesterday right here on DSLReports(»Exclusive: AT&T To Impose Caps, Overages) about AT&T deciding to being implementing bandwidth caps on their U-Verse product. I feel this takes away from the products value and am adjusting my review to show this. I will also be leaving to go to the more superior product offerings of Comcast. Not happy about it, but at least their caps are a bit fairer.

UPDATE: 4/28/2010
Reinstalled U-Verse. Moved about 6 months ago to a location that did not have U-Verse available. Moved to my currently location about a week ago and had U-Verse installed today.

Service is the U-Verse Max (12mbps down/1.5mbps up). I get 11.5mbps down/1.5mbps up. No idea about my distance to the VRAD. Everything appears to work as expected.

UPDATE: 01/02/2009

just downgraded my internet speeds to the elite package. will save me a good $30/month. and i barely got more than 10Mbps on downloads usually as it is.

UPDATE: 11/10/2008

ok its 7:02am and my max18 is already in effect. just did a speedtest on speedtest.net and am getting a solid 18 mbps download and the same 1.4 upload that i was getting before. so they didn't break my internet when they changed my speed profile.

UPDATE: 11/09/2008

JUST ORDERED MAX18. It should take effect sometime tomorrow. will update after it is going. Wish they would've given a bit more upload.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Hi, I have AT&T U-Verse U100 (TV) & U-Verse MAX (10Mbps/1.5Mbps internet).

I previously had AT&T dry loop DSL Elite (6Mbps/768Kbps). Just so you get an idea of what I previously was getting for internet service. The transition between Dry Loop DSL and U-Verse went off without a hitch. I had access to my Dry Loop DSL up until the tech showed up at my door and started the install. The installation took about 2 hours. I had 1 TV, no DVR, to get hooked up for the TV side. as i already knew that I was probably not going to keep the TV side. With 3 kids, I just don't have time to watch TV.

The RG (Residential Gateway/MODEM) that was installed is a 2Wire 3800HGV-B. the STB (Set Top Box) is a Cisco IPN330HD. the STB is connected via Cat5 that was run along the wall.

The RG has built in 802.11b/g wireless, a 4 port 10/100Mbps switch, and 2 RJ-11 ports (for AT&T U-Voice).

if you have any questions about the service please feel free to ask me. I find myself having some from time to time and would like to share the little bit of knowledge that I have acquired.

Comments: