AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by CovMac See Profile

• Location: Covington,Saint Tammany,LA
Good "Cheaper and more dependable (based on my POTS service) than cable"
Bad "Lost a local cable channel that I liked"
Overall "Great so far"

I was on a bundle (TV/Phone/internet) from the local cable company until last July. Because of a history of service outages and much higher pricing after the one year promotion ended, I switched back to AT&T POTS, and DSL. When AT&T announced Uverse was available in my neighborhood, I signed up the next week. I ordered the 6Mpbs internet, the U200 TV package (no HD - both TVs are SD sets - or premium channels), and Uverse phone.

***Edit to add that I upgraded to 12Mbps and I'm consistently getting that speed connection.

The install went very well. An outside line tech showed up at 9AM to check the connection at the NID, which was excellent because my home is ~500' from the VRAD. The inside tech showed up at 10:45 to begin the home install. Placed the RG where I wanted it, and was able to use the existing coax to connect my 2 SD TV sets. Excellent TV picture quality - at least as good as cable was. I'm getting the 6Mbps speeds that I signed up for, and my line is good enough to move to the 18Mbps speed should I ever wish to upgrade. The VOIP phone connection is excellent with no line noise or echo. Both techs were polite and easy to talk to, and obviously knew their job. The inside tech went to great lengths to make sure I knew how to operate the set-top box.

With the help of the good folks in the Uverse forum here, I was able to hook-up my Dlink router to the RG, and keep my previous LAN set-up.

The only surprise for me was that the inside tech elected to use the existing coax to connect the RG to the NID instead of using CAT5. But I'm getting the service that I'm paying for, and that's all I really care about.

*** The original 3800 RG was replaced with a 3801 last summer, and the DVR receiver last October. Never lost service during the 3 day power outage we had during Hurricane Issac.

Comments: