AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by jb17bsome See Profile

• Location: Roswell,Fulton,GA
Good "Easy Self Install, Good Download Speed, Decent Pings"
Bad "RG is a too big and lack of bridging."
Overall "Good value for the price"

I have had Bellsouth Fast Access DSL ever since it was offered. It has always been reliable but it had become fairly slow at night in the past year and a half. This has also resulted in Netflix being very slow at times. I do have Charter cable in my area but I believe that they have quality problems in our neighborhood so I avoided them. So, I went ahead and ordered Uverse since it was available in my area.

I ordered Uverse 12m/1.5 on August 3 (I use Charter for TV). The promotional price is $29.95 per month for one year with the modem costing $100. After one year the price will increase to $48.
My install date was set for August 10. On the install date the outside tech made the necessary changes and told me that the RG could be plugged in at about 9:30 A.M. I was suprised since the email said that it would be ready by 8 P.M.
As far as performance goes I am impressed. Netflix streams perfectly. I was hesitant about Uverse before since I play BC2 everyday so I had this odd assumption that it would hurt gameplay with higher pings. Nope it really hasn't. My pings went up 10ms or so.
I have only a couple of issues:
* The 3600 RG is a fairly large box. I can understand why it makes sense (cheaper to maintain/support) but it it so huge compared to my little Westell. Oh well.
* The lack of bridging on the 3600 RG was initially a turn off but I think it is okay now. DMZPlus works fine for my Linux router/pc.

I also went ahead and ran a cat6 homerun+splitter to improve the line quality. This actually helped a bunch so hopefully this will make it possible to upgrade to a higher speed at a later date.

Here is an update after one year of usage:
Everything still works fine. I haven't seen one direct outage outside of lighting or bad weather.
I still have the following downsides:
* No bridging on modem.
* Better upload speed would be ideal - 1.5mb is nice but I would rather have 3mb. I don't care as much about downloading right now. So, 12mb works fine.

Another update after a year of usage:
Nothing to update. Everything works as before. No stability issues at all. The only downside is that they raised the internet to $51. Not ideal since the speed didn't increase at all.

member for 5.7 years, 2094 visits, last login: a few hours ago