AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Sebehk See Profile

• Location: Chula Vista,San Diego,CA
Good "Fast downloads."
Bad "Cannot use my previous modem."
Overall "Not bad from switching from Cox."

We had to switch from Cox to AT&T U-verse because our apartment complex's contract with Cox expired.

Although I wasn't here for the setup, the technician seem to know what to do. He had to disable a few things from my own router to get their residential gateway (router/modem) to work. He had to set my router to bridge-mode and disable DHCP.

The setup was completed, but I had to all my setting back to normal. Unfortunately, AT&T router/modem's DHCP cannot be disabled, nor place it in bridge-mode. Also, their router/modem doesn't have 802.11n, so I have to keep my own router to have 11n available to my devices.

Fortunately, after reading several forums regarding U-verse settings, etc., I was able to get the residential gateway to act as a "modem" and allow my router to get the external IP. This way, my router is back to its normal functions.

UPDATE Oct 4, 2012: I did upgrade from 12 to 18 Mbps for the extra speed. I can't complain. Very consistent speeds at various points of the day.

UPDATE: Apr 12, 2013: No new praises or complaints. Still happy as I can be with 18 Mbps.

Comments:
kizh

join:2011-11-03

does that $50 include TV?

they rolled out partial Uverse in my area near USCD. I threatened to cancel and got $24.95 for 1/yr and a $100 rebate on their crappy router. If you pay directly through at&t try to make em sweat a little. I'm guessing you are paying through a third party if its building based though.

One place I lived handed out pamphlets when you moved in to get your phone / cable etc all in one bill. I said F that and signed up each singly. Maybe you have the same flexibility.

michieru
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL

Re: does that $50 include TV?

What modem do you have because I have the Motorola NVG510 and it has 802.11N.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Re: does that $50 include TV?

No, it doesn't include the TV portion of the service.

AT&T gave me a router/modem, a 2WIRE 3800HGV-B. An oversized piece of s*#t that has very few settings that I can change. Like I cannot turn off DHCP, so my home router is basically an expensive switch right now. It has no 11n because I searched in its settings that 11g is the only thing in there.

--->Robert
8-)
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

kizh2

@sbcglobal.net
said by michieru:

What modem do you have because I have the Motorola NVG510 and it has 802.11N.

I have the 510 with N too. I guess that the only good thing you can say about it.

Sounds like they locked down their Uverse that has a TV option modem too.

I understand your pain, my girlfriend's Airport express is nearly worthless now, no more itunes over the stereo.

I know there's a work around for the 510 but it sounds like it could stop working suddenly if they change your IP.

dck101

@ou.edu
That's not a deal. I didn't even threaten to cancel and the lady told me the 24.95/1 year price was standard, and most offices would waive the modem fee.

vicki

@bellsouth.net

disrespectful commercial

I find the Career Day commercial offensive,as it makes it look ok to be disrespectful to adults.In real life in that situation,the cable guy is probably one of the other students parent,think of how that child would feel to see his/her parent humiliated in front of the class.I change the chanel everytime this commercial is aired ,and hope it will be discontinued SOON! Thanks for your consideration

FROGGIE

@comcast.net

Re: disrespectful commercial

I agree with you. The commercial portrays a daddy taking the time to come to his childs school Career Day and some rude little know-it-all girl sits there challenging what he has to say and looking down her nose at him. He is obviously a hard working tax paying citizen who also cares very much about his children ... maybe the little girls mother would be better served if she took as much time teaching her child respect for her elders as she does teaching her about AT&T marketing practices.
It's hard enough to get father participation in school activities without AT&T showing them just how little they think of that fatherly input.
BAD concept.