AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Sebehk See Profile

• Location: Chula Vista,San Diego,CA
Good "Fast downloads."
Bad "Cannot use my previous modem."
Overall "Not bad from switching from Cox."

We had to switch from Cox to AT&T U-verse because our apartment complex's contract with Cox expired.

Although I wasn't here for the setup, the technician seem to know what to do. He had to disable a few things from my own router to get their residential gateway (router/modem) to work. He had to set my router to bridge-mode and disable DHCP.

The setup was completed, but I had to all my setting back to normal. Unfortunately, AT&T router/modem's DHCP cannot be disabled, nor place it in bridge-mode. Also, their router/modem doesn't have 802.11n, so I have to keep my own router to have 11n available to my devices.

Fortunately, after reading several forums regarding U-verse settings, etc., I was able to get the residential gateway to act as a "modem" and allow my router to get the external IP. This way, my router is back to its normal functions.

UPDATE Oct 4, 2012: I did upgrade from 12 to 18 Mbps for the extra speed. I can't complain. Very consistent speeds at various points of the day.

UPDATE: Apr 12, 2013: No new praises or complaints. Still happy as I can be with 18 Mbps.

member for 12.6 years, 5929 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

vicki

@bellsouth.net

disrespectful commercial

I find the Career Day commercial offensive,as it makes it look ok to be disrespectful to adults.In real life in that situation,the cable guy is probably one of the other students parent,think of how that child would feel to see his/her parent humiliated in front of the class.I change the chanel everytime this commercial is aired ,and hope it will be discontinued SOON! Thanks for your consideration

FROGGIE

@comcast.net

Re: disrespectful commercial

I agree with you. The commercial portrays a daddy taking the time to come to his childs school Career Day and some rude little know-it-all girl sits there challenging what he has to say and looking down her nose at him. He is obviously a hard working tax paying citizen who also cares very much about his children ... maybe the little girls mother would be better served if she took as much time teaching her child respect for her elders as she does teaching her about AT&T marketing practices.
It's hard enough to get father participation in school activities without AT&T showing them just how little they think of that fatherly input.
BAD concept.