AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Sebehk See Profile

• Location: Chula Vista,San Diego,CA
Good "Fast downloads."
Bad "Cannot use my previous modem."
Overall "Not bad from switching from Cox."

We had to switch from Cox to AT&T U-verse because our apartment complex's contract with Cox expired.

Although I wasn't here for the setup, the technician seem to know what to do. He had to disable a few things from my own router to get their residential gateway (router/modem) to work. He had to set my router to bridge-mode and disable DHCP.

The setup was completed, but I had to all my setting back to normal. Unfortunately, AT&T router/modem's DHCP cannot be disabled, nor place it in bridge-mode. Also, their router/modem doesn't have 802.11n, so I have to keep my own router to have 11n available to my devices.

Fortunately, after reading several forums regarding U-verse settings, etc., I was able to get the residential gateway to act as a "modem" and allow my router to get the external IP. This way, my router is back to its normal functions.

UPDATE Oct 4, 2012: I did upgrade from 12 to 18 Mbps for the extra speed. I can't complain. Very consistent speeds at various points of the day.

UPDATE: Apr 12, 2013: No new praises or complaints. Still happy as I can be with 18 Mbps.

member for 12.7 years, 6017 visits, last login: a few hours ago