AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by bonorum See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "Data seems to be working fine, instant install, see detail"
Bad "ATT was unable for the last year to tell me when I could have Uverse"
Overall "TWC doubled my TV bill, had to move, don't regret it yet"

Note: this Uverse connection is copper, not fiber. Uverse from this location seems to work well to my 2 tvs(but see below). Vonage is running through the internet connection with no issues, since I pay them the same as ATT wanted to add it on. I signed up online when I got the availability email. Install was done the next day and went off without a hitch. The total cost is about what I am paying TWC now, but the new bill from TWC is almost double that $150. For $100, Uverse provides whole-house DVR with higher capacity, HD service, and 24Mbps for 6 months. After that it goes up by about $30. Still cheaper than TWC and more channels and services. When my wife called TWC (as good cop), she felt completely unappreciated. My previous DSL service with ATT was slow, but rock solid, so although I have only had the service 3 days, I expect a reliable connection (the neighborhood was recently rewired underground). I don't like having to rent the 2WIRE controller for $4 per month. I have just connected an Apple Airport Extreme. AT&T customer service will not tell you how without paying. On the 2WIRE router 3801hgv, you go to settings, LAN, IP Address Allocation, and find your device. Choose your router, select disable firewall, address assignment public, and router WAN IP address. Be sure you have secured your router, as it is now exposed to the Internet. On the bad stuff, the Cisco IPTV receiver has freaked out and flashed black and picture back and forth until it rebooted itself (or you hold the power button 5 seconds). This has happened 3 times in 3 days. It continued until I followed the total factory reset, which loaded new software. I lost my recordings, though. AT&T customer service unspeakably bad. The actual electronic service and on-site technicians, stellar. AT&T, you are killing yourself by not helping competent people get the most out of your infrastructure. You helped my cousin for an hour to key in the password printed on the label on her router, but you won't post to a forum how to set up the Apple Airport Express.

Six months in, the service is stable. The discounts are off, so the price is nearly what TWC charges. I need to check to see what discounts TWC will give me now that I am not a customer! It makes you wonder whether the big guys are thinking at all...

member for 10 years, 405 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Ellis

att u verse

att. U verse sucks!! This is the worse cable service I have ever seen! I have called a technician out 4 times & still the same crap keeps happening. The signal keeps going out & I have to reset the box. Sometimes that still doesn't. Works. Anyone thinking of leaving comcast for this company will regret it!

mwilliams

Re: att u verse

I have had uverse for more than a year now and I get some occasional pixelization, but the cost for the amount of features is fantastic. I love the Comcast commercial at the end of the review. I think you mean XFINITY, comcast was their horrible customer service alter ego.
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
·Mediacom

Install next day after order?

When I ordered service for address in Chicago suburbs, they told me I have to wait 40 days. And get this, that's just for activation with self-install. They would not want to expedite unless I order it together with tv (which for makes no sense for me bc I am there only on weekends and holidays).

I'd get 4g LTE hospot to use while I wait but $36 activation and $35 at return restocking fee (if purchased from store) effectively throws me off. In meantime I have to stick with 3G tethering on my phone (on AT&T) which is often slow and counts against my 4gb limit.

thefeds

At ATT

The customer is always right, wrong...

If you like being treated like a second class citizen/ customer, ATT is the provider for you.

If you only desire to speak to automated telephone support, ATT is the provider for you.

If you enjoy the inablility to settle any sort of dispute whatsoever, ATT is the provider for you.

If you're enamored by offensive and threatening business letters, ATT is the provider for you.

God forbid you should decide to upgrade your services with them because they'll continue charging you for both the old services and new ones.

After 6 prision-like years of services (if you know what i mean), I'm sending it all back. Good riddance.

ATT, this is my last act as a paying customer, and it's only befitting that I let everyone know how wonderful you are!

Regards,

Hope ATT fires you Dimitrious from Sales, Service and Billing (phone click)
bonorum

join:2004-04-03
Winston Salem, NC

ATT customer service unspeakably bad

See detail in updated review. Notify me if you have problems with connecting Airport Express to 2WIRE 3801hgv

DaviGuerrero

Customer service sucks

I have had Uverse since 2008. I have the 450 package along with playboy n max for Internet also 6 receivers 1 wireless. I'm paying 220 per mo for service. Over 2,400 per year.
That being said I would think that they can
Resolve issues or at least call back when promised.I have never had a phone call last less than 1 hr. What a joke hire more help. Seems to me that they have gotten to big and forgotten about customer service.I think it's time to shop around.