AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by bonorum See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "Data seems to be working fine, instant install, see detail"
Bad "ATT was unable for the last year to tell me when I could have Uverse"
Overall "TWC doubled my TV bill, had to move, don't regret it yet"

Note: this Uverse connection is copper, not fiber. Uverse from this location seems to work well to my 2 tvs(but see below). Vonage is running through the internet connection with no issues, since I pay them the same as ATT wanted to add it on. I signed up online when I got the availability email. Install was done the next day and went off without a hitch. The total cost is about what I am paying TWC now, but the new bill from TWC is almost double that $150. For $100, Uverse provides whole-house DVR with higher capacity, HD service, and 24Mbps for 6 months. After that it goes up by about $30. Still cheaper than TWC and more channels and services. When my wife called TWC (as good cop), she felt completely unappreciated. My previous DSL service with ATT was slow, but rock solid, so although I have only had the service 3 days, I expect a reliable connection (the neighborhood was recently rewired underground). I don't like having to rent the 2WIRE controller for $4 per month. I have just connected an Apple Airport Extreme. AT&T customer service will not tell you how without paying. On the 2WIRE router 3801hgv, you go to settings, LAN, IP Address Allocation, and find your device. Choose your router, select disable firewall, address assignment public, and router WAN IP address. Be sure you have secured your router, as it is now exposed to the Internet. On the bad stuff, the Cisco IPTV receiver has freaked out and flashed black and picture back and forth until it rebooted itself (or you hold the power button 5 seconds). This has happened 3 times in 3 days. It continued until I followed the total factory reset, which loaded new software. I lost my recordings, though. AT&T customer service unspeakably bad. The actual electronic service and on-site technicians, stellar. AT&T, you are killing yourself by not helping competent people get the most out of your infrastructure. You helped my cousin for an hour to key in the password printed on the label on her router, but you won't post to a forum how to set up the Apple Airport Express.

Six months in, the service is stable. The discounts are off, so the price is nearly what TWC charges. I need to check to see what discounts TWC will give me now that I am not a customer! It makes you wonder whether the big guys are thinking at all...

member for 10.4 years, 405 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:
bonorum

join:2004-04-03
Winston Salem, NC

ATT customer service unspeakably bad

See detail in updated review. Notify me if you have problems with connecting Airport Express to 2WIRE 3801hgv

DaviGuerrero

@sbcglobal.net

Customer service sucks

I have had Uverse since 2008. I have the 450 package along with playboy n max for Internet also 6 receivers 1 wireless. I'm paying 220 per mo for service. Over 2,400 per year.
That being said I would think that they can
Resolve issues or at least call back when promised.I have never had a phone call last less than 1 hr. What a joke hire more help. Seems to me that they have gotten to big and forgotten about customer service.I think it's time to shop around.