AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by r81984 See Profile

• Location: Katy,Harris,TX
Good "Nothing, They are a monopoly"
Bad "Everything, ATT has no idea what they are doing."
Overall "Avoid unless you have no reasonably priced alternatives."

·row44
I had a 6meg adsl line. I moved apartments in the same complex. One building over. They said my new building had Uverse instead of adsl.
The person I called at the 1800 move website said I would have to give them $100 for a new modem. He said I could not buy a used Uverse modem off ebay for $50, they would not activate it.
Then he said he cant switch the adsl to Uverse and had to transfer me to a Uverse tech. The Uverse tech also confirmed I cannot activate a used Uverse modem and I would have to pay them $100 for a new modem. He said the modem I already own for adsl will also not work for Uverse. Well he says he cant set me up and has to transfer me to sales. I get on hold for 25 minutes and hang up. I call back the 1800 move number and this person says he can do everything.
I saw online that some people got a $100 gift card, and because I asked he would give me that to. He set up the Uverse and said I would get my modem in 3 days and my service would be activated the same day. Then he says he cant cancel my adsl account and must transfer me to someone else. WTF??? Why cant 1 person do everything at ATT??? Its all the same damn computer system.
Anyways they wasted 1hr and 30 minutes of my life just to switch my adsl from one apartment to another next door to each other.
Then 2 days later I get an email saying they ran out of Uverse modems and now I have to wait another 9 days to get it.
I hate ATT!!!!! They used to be the best ISP and now they suck. Dont forget they have a 150GB cap which not one person setting me up said anything about caps or asked if I agree to any caps or overage fees. They set me up with a 6meg Uverse line.
----------
Update - 1 month
----------
I signed up for the $25 a month plan and they charged me $48, so now I will probably have to waste hours on the phone for them to fix the billing problems.

I hate ATT.

-----------
Update 1/24/14
-----------

I have 18 meg plan and I have to call every year to keep it at the $28/mo price otherwise it goes to over $50.
Speedtest.net
19ms pings
10.23 mbps down and .96 mbps up

»www.att.com/speedtest/
10.86 mbps down and .97 mbps up

But, the NVG510 modem was pure garbage and did not work right. It had disconnect issues that required reboots every few days for 3 months. ATT support kept sending me replacements and I ended up with 3 NVG510 modems that all had the same stupid problems. I still have them not being used in my closet.
I bought a used 2210-02-1ATT off ebay and that older modem worked without any issues. Did not have to ever call support again.
Connection has worked flawlessly for 2 years. Only had to reset modem 1 time.

Pro - if you can live with slower speeds then it is cheaper than comcast.
As far as I know there are no caps. Last month I used over 350 GB.
Con - Some of their modems are garbage and dont work.

Comments:
mitchflorida

join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

Monopoly?

You must not know the definition of monopoly.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

Re: Monopoly?

You must not know what the definition of a monopoly is. You are confused.
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

350TB?

I don't think it is possible to use 350TB on a 18Mbps connection in a month. I think you meant GB.

Different

@sbcglobal.net

Not quite

By the way, ATT Uverse and Att "legacy" DSL dont use the same computer systems. There is a BIG WALL inbetween the two. Why? UVERSE is ip based services, thus doesn't fall under the same rules for "legacy" imposed by the PUC! Uverse mirrors more like Comcast, not regulated ad older DSL & POTS.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
·row44

Re: Not quite

said by Different :

You talk like computers cant talk to each other.
If only there was some kind of inter net of cables to connect computers.

FYI, everyone knows the difference between Uverse IP-DSLAM ADSL2/2+ and their older ATM DSLAM ADSL services. ATT clearly mismanaged everything in their transition. They actually used the transition to steal money from customers.
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.