AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by M_H See Profile

• Location: Moorpark,Ventura,CA
Good "faster than 6mbps dsl elite"
Bad "had to wait for new modem (out of stock)"
Overall "Great price, nice speed!"

I have the 12/1 IPDSL uverse internet only package @29.99 for the first 12 months. I previously had their dsl elite (6mbps), and wanted more bandwidth (netflix, other people online at same time, etc).

I called them up after having checked their site (I could get the 12mbps package)... waited on hold for 14 mins (kept it on speaker), the sales rep said I'd have my modem (which they gave me for free/rebate because I was already a customer) in 4 days. Cool.

I got a phone call the next day saying they were out of routers due to high demand (I wish the sales person would have told me that the day before, as they were going to turn off my dsl the following day)... basically I had to waste some more time calling them back to make sure they don't cut off my connection before I actually got the new modem.

Received my modem (self-install package/Motorola NVG510) 6 days after that. My Uverse was set to be turned on 1/19/12 after 8:00pm (1 day after I got the modem).

Activated the modem, set-up my account, everything went very smooth... checking the modem sync rate though showed that I was only getting 9890kbps. I called them up and they said my modem would automatically test/ramp the connection up over the next week or so before finally stabilizing itself on a good sync rate. Checking my sync rate today and it is at 10671 (so I guess that's how it works).

Overall I would say it's been a good experience. I have a much faster connection (can watch netflix in hd, while other people surf the net) and it hasn't gone out or anything. And if anyone wants to know, these are my line specs currently:
Down Up
SN Margin (dB) 9.0 14.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 39.0 25.3
Output Power(dBm) 18.8 12.1

**UPDATE**

(1/20/13): A week ago the connection would drop, reconnect, and then drop again. I called them for help. They sent out a tech and told me something was wrong on the line... Not sure what it was, but the guy fixed it. As a result the connection has been improved by a lot! I'm getting full sync rate (11998 kbps) vs. around 10000 kbps before they came out (sometimes at night it would fall to 9250kbps).

Here's the modem stats now:
Down Up
SN Margin (dB) 7.5 13.4
Line Attenuation (dB) 35.5 21.9
Output Power(dBm) 18.8 11.9

My line attenuation dropped to 35.5 and given the SN margin at full sync that's a great improvement. I'm very happy with it.

Comments:
M_H

Speedtest

klwsmith

@sbcglobal.net

I have AT&T's fastest internet service at 24 Mpbs.

Typical Speedtest:

Moorpark, CA

Re: I have AT&T's fastest internet service at 24 Mpbs.

Geez, that doesn't seem well. Try talking to them on the direct forum here.
skooly

join:2003-01-12
Miami, FL
Something is definitely wrong with your install. Hope you got it ironed out by now. Let us know.

uversss

@sbcglobal.net

more info

i was wondering when u did the self install for uverse did you had to do any wiring out your house or anything of that sort

Re: more info

No. A few days after I placed my order I was on my way to work and saw them checking the line and whatnot (I didn't have to talk to them or anything like that).

Once it was passed 8pm on 1/19/12, all I did was plug in the telephone cable (same one the old dsl box used, but they do provide a new one if you prefer) into the new modem/router, hooked up the power cord to the box... then hooked it up via ethernet to set-up the connection and stuff (with the self-install kit they give you set-up directions).

Speed test 1/20/13