dslreports logo



how-to block ads

AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports
Six Month Rating

bullet 848 reviews (458 good) (176 bad)
bullet Submit a review by email click here
bullet login for new review notification feature

Review by rolande See Profile

  • Location: Prosper,Collin,TX
  • Cost: $190 per month
  • Install: about 20 days
Good "Easy order. Easy install. No hassles. No surprises, yet."
Bad "Video On Demand almost always pauses continuously causing frustration"
Overall "Majority of services just seem to work, so far, and I'm happy with the entire process from order to install to performance."
Pre Sales Information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)

I have been a long time AT&T ADSL customer in both Chicago and Columbus Ohio. We moved to the northern suburbs of Dallas, Texas in June of 2012 and were eligible for U-Verse service. So, I placed the order online in anticipation of our move to a temporary apartment. The entire process was fairly simple and easy to navigate from start to finish. I did not consider any other providers, as I prefer to use DSL versus a Cable provider. If Verizon FiOS had been available, I likely would have opted for that given the exceptional price/performance ratio and available high bandwidth options. In my opinion, U-Verse was the best available option. AT&T has definitely far exceeded my expectations based on my past experiences.

The technician called ahead of time. He arrived 10-15 minutes earlier than his 9-11am window and completed all the outside wiring work first. It took about 3 hours total to install the main gateway, 2 TV boxes/DVR, phone and register for the Internet service. He didn't even have to ask, he automatically put booties on to avoid walking with his boots directly on the carpet. He was friendly and professional and efficiently knocked the work out.

I ordered the Triple Play service including Uverse U200 channel package ($89), the Internet Max Plus package at up to 18Mbps downstream and 1.5Mbps upstream ($59), and Voice Unlimited for phone ($35).

I have the 2Wire 3801HGV gateway with a Motorola VIP2250 as the DVR on the main TV in our living area and a Cisco ISB7005 as a wireless set top box in another bedroom. They include a Belkin battery backup unit for the main gateway for the phone service. There is also a small Cisco external Wireless Access Point attached.

The wireless signal is nice and strong and I ran a preliminary speed test to a local service provider. I got up to 16.81Mbps down and 1.45Mbps upstream. I'm seeing about 28 milliseconds of latency to the upstream gateway at at&t.

They offered discounts for all of the install fees because I ordered triple play. They also offered $350 of AT&T rewards that are provided on a promotional card they deliver in the mail after 30 days of service. It appears I also get 3 months of free HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and all of the On-Demand movie options for those channels as well. That will help pass the time in temp housing.

So, at this point, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The order to install experience has been seamless and without issues. At this point, I am one happy camper.

We moved into our new house at the end of September 2012 and scheduled our U-Verse service to be moved from the temporary apartment we were in. I was amazed at how easy the process was. We brought the boxes we had with us. The tech showed up to do the install and everything just worked.

I had my first service outage several weeks ago. I was able to quickly isolate the problem outside as the gateway was unable to synch the DSL signal. A tech was dispatched that same day. The problem appeared to clear on its own about an hour and a half after I called. The tech still came out to test and was not able to identify the root cause. They blamed it on a firmware push to my router but I was able to confirm there has never been a firmware push to my router. So, it does cause me a little concern. Hopefully this is a rare transient event.

I recently decided to increase my Internet package from the 18Meg to 24Meg service mostly for the increased upstream capacity from 1.5Meg to 3Meg for video conferencing. I submitted the change to my account online and within 2 business days the updated profile was pushed to my router. I am now seeing 22.58Mbps downstream and 2.83Mbps upstream. I was even given a 6 month discount of $5 a month on the upgrade. I'm now paying $66/month for the Max Turbo service plus a $6/month equipment fee less the $5/month discount.

I experienced another problem this past week that caused unstable service. I had another Tech visit. They found a jumper pair in the NID was pinched and accidentally stripped bare. They re-terminated my home run in my wiring closet with a female RJ14 insert and replaced my RG which was acting strange. They ran tests on my line and found a significant number of FEC errors. It was isolated to the buried cable from my NID to the pedestal out front. So, they installed a new cable to be buried and resolved the errors on the line. Hopefully this was the last of our issues and things will be stable from here on out.

member for 11.9 years, 4053 visits, last login: 1 days ago
updated 336 days ago