AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by jj358mhz See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Faster than my legacy DSL (6/1 versus 3/.4 Mbps)"
Bad "God awful transition from legacy DSL to U-verse HSI"
Overall "Their service seems to really suffer when the U-verse techs need to coordinate with CO techs"

I ordered the U-verse HSI (NGV510 modem) in the middle of August and they set the activation date on 8/28. The modem arrived on time and all pre-install documentation was emailed - I was all set!

I disconnected my legacy DSL modem and connected the new NGV510 modem. It synced but I got no service light. I called support and a tech was dispatched the next day. When he arrived and performed some troubleshooting, it was discovered that the U-verse had been provisioned on a secondary number and the service was working (albeit rather slow with a lot of noise on the line). Here begins the nightmare...

The tech put calls in but he could not seem to move the log jam to get U-verse provisioned on the proper line. 1.5 weeks later with multiple calls, emails and chats into technical support, nothing changed. I called their retention department and spoke with a lady who said that, apparently, the system did not deactivate my legacy DSL, so the CO tech assumed and provisioned the U-verse on the secondary number. She put in an order to kill the legacy account (scheduled for 9/6) and after I asked, she compensated me $100 for the price of the modem.

On 9/6 I noticed my primary number when down for about 5 minutes and I thought, "great, I should be active pretty soon". Wrong. I connected the U-verse modem and saw legacy DSL modulation - U-verse was still active on my secondary number and I had no legacy DSL to fall back on as it had been deactivated (thank goodness for my Verizon 4G LTE set to hotspot). This started another round of calls, tech visits and so on.

This past Sunday, I finally got a hold of a Tier 2 support agent and relayed my story. I also mentioned that one of the field techs had made reference to a open trouble ticket at the CO to remedy that my primary number was punched in the wrong location. He immediately called the field tech, took the information and found no such ticket existed. After creating a new one, he said it would execute between 8am-8pm on 9/10 and to expect a minor interruption in POTS service - sure enough, the line went down at 8:30 am and I waited, and waited, and waited, but over 2 hours later, it was still dead. So now, I had no telephone, no wired Internet and my patience was running thin. I went online and opened a trouble ticket. I monitored it all day and then at 5:45pm, the ATT system said the problem was fixed and the ticket had been closed! WTF? Two calls into land line support and they re-opened the ticket, dispatched a tech to the CO and I pretty much had given up for the evening. Well, much to my surprise late that evening, my NGV510 showed service was present. I configured a few settings and I now have double the speed than I did before.

I do not know what in the hell ATT is doing with respect to their staffing issues at the CO. I observed two MAJOR issues:

1. The U-verse techs mentioned that in Berkeley, the staff only consists of one or two people - the other techs are out due to disability and maternity leaves.

2. There is a huge communication gap between the U-verse department and the CO departments in working a repair ticket during the time of a customer-premise visit. The U-verse field tech shows up, sees the problem, but then has no way to expeditiously resolve the issue when the problem lies within the other department's jurisdiction (union issues, maybe?)

If it were not for the greater speeds, I would certainly look to other ISPs in my area.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Can we help?

Can we help with the uverse service?

If we can send me an email at helprequest@sbcglobal.net or post in the at&t direct forum.

THanks
David
jj358mhz

join:2004-10-06
Berkeley, CA

Re: Can we help?

Hi David,

It is working now. However, it took way too much of my time and I did, in fact, reach out to uversecare@att.com and worked with a representative.