AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by starreem See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "The guy showed up at the promised time?"
Bad "Residential class hardware supplied to a business account"
Overall "Marketing hyperbole-this is not business class services"

AT&T is marketing this service as "fiber" and the operations manager where I work got suckered in. It is using just another POTS twisted pair, just like the previous ADSL (Earthlink). I'm not sure, but I believe the monthly cost during some promotional period is $30/month after which it will increase to $55/month.

Our company just merged with another, and what was a small workgroup of mostly windows boxes on a wired network has ballooned to a large group of Mac and Windows boxes, network printers, faxes, both wired and wireless. We now rely on more cloud based services and although the added speed is nice ( 6 down/ 0.7up), I can count on one hand the number of times the previous Earthlink ADSL ( 1.5/ 0.3) went down in the last 10 years.

I have managed that network with the goal of not having a single point source of failure: Dedicated separate devices for DHCP services, firewall, IP routing and switching, and wireless APs. Unfortunately the Motorola NVG510 supplied by At&T is nothing more than a residential modem/router/wireless AP combination, with a less than robust firewall for business applications, and is now a single point of failure for the entire network.

There is no way to turn off DHCP services. I did manage a work-around by only allowing the NVG510 to assign one address, and that was the fixed IP address of my existing DHCP server box. I haven't figured out a way alter the fixed DNS server addresses other than the laborious task of going to each and every device on the network and assigning different DNS servers in every network properties.

There is a crude work-around for setting this device up in "bridge mode", but it is nothing more than setting up an IP pass through to another routing device, but I have not found another router that will authenticate via PTM yet.

The install guy showed up at the designated time. That has been the only highlight of this entire process. He was extremely nice, but seemed unfamiliar with phone room equipment typically found in a business setting: punch down blocks, phone PBX, etc.I had to show him how to use his own punch down tool on the 25-pair block fed from the NID.

Comments: