AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by cluebbe See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "nothing so far"
Bad "where to begin?"
Overall "Should be called U-worst"

It's hard to put into words the nightmarish experience I have been having in transferring my internet service from DSL to U-verse. The experience is all the worse for not having been of my own choosing but rather something imposed upon me by AT&T. I received a letter dated November 9 informing me that my current (DSL) internet service would be moved to the U-verse (fiberoptic) network and that I should call for the new equipment that I would need for the new service. I called on November 17 and was told that I could receive a speed of twice what I currently had for a promotional rate of $24.95 for 12 months, and that at the end of that period I could renew for another 12 months at the same promotional rate. I was also told that my then current DSL service would continue until the transition and was given an installation date for the new service of November 26. Later that day, my DSL service was disconnected, and except for a brief period on November 26 (when the DSL service inexplicably briefly came back on), I have not had internet service of any kind.

I have since talked to several sales and technical personnel in Miami, Nashville, and Los Angeles (and probably other cities as well), essentially wasting hours of my time with absolutely no results. I was first told that my DSL service could not be reactivated. Then I was told that it could be but that a dial tone would have to be reestablished. I was told that an order had been placed for the dial tone, and was later told that I needed to give my authorization for the dial tone order to be placed. I received voicemails and text messages informing me that the new service would not begin until November 27, and also received a set of data and Ethernet cables with a notice that high speed internet service had been activated on November 20. I also received a text on November 27 informing me that high speed internet service on my account (presumably a new order to reestablish the original DSL service) was active.

This, sadly, was not the case, and although I knew it would be useless, I tried to connect the new modem, which also did not work. When I called yet again (this time for a 56 minute-long call) to try to resolve the issue, I was told that the original order for the new U-verse account had been cancelled and that no reason for the cancellation could be found in the notes. Against my better judgment, I went ahead and placed a new order for U-verse service, and was informed that the person with whom I had placed the original order had lied and that I could not extend the promotional rate after the first 12 months, and that it would go up from $24.95 to $48/mo. I was also informed that although moving to a different/new service was not through my own choice and was being forced on me by AT&T, if I cancelled the new service before the 12 month contract expired, I would be charged a $180 cancellation fee. Lastly, even though I have received the new modem, I now have to wait an additional two days for the new service to be activated.

I realize that it might be asking too much for a company actually to provide the service that it purports to be in the business of providing, but I genuinely feel that the ordeal I have gone through over the past 10 days is outrageous. I have been an AT&T customer for several years, for my wired and wireless phone service, as well as for internet service, but this recent experience has pushed me to the absolute limit of human endurance. Each time I talk with someone new, I have to explain the whole situation again. They claim to have some notes of my previous interactions, but whatever these notes contain does not seem to be of any help in resolving the issue. Some of the people to whom I have spoken have seemed to make a valiant effort to help me, but it appears beyond their mere mortal powers to do so.

Although I have, as mentioned previously, ordered the new U-verse service, I am seriously considering cancelling this order and switching to a different provider. It makes absolutely no sense to me that in order to make what should be a relatively simple change in service, I have had to deal with several different call/service centers and multiple sub-units within AT&T, none of which seems to know what the other is doing or has done, and all ultimately with the end result of disabling my internet service for close to two weeks, costing me hours of time (fortunately the minutes are all included in my wireless plan or that would be an additional expense) and frustration, and making me wonder why I shouldn’t change ISP immediately.

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

we can work on this if you want...

let me know...

Thanks

Work on this? LOL

No ATT needs to FIX the problem! Period.

Re: we can work on this if you want...

Well I am glad you find me funny I am flattered... WOuldn't mind helping provided people are actually....oh you know... serious?
join:2012-06-11
Too bad this and MANY other customers including myself have to get the eternal run around with the "regular" ATT CSRs.

ATT has a HUGE problem--- a CRITICAL problem with handling customer service issues, and they are simply not doing ANYTHING to change this.

You may want to "help" but the system you work under will most likely defeat your efforts. Why not do me a favor and send a copy of my initial comment below to Mr Randall Stephenson? Obviously he must not get to see the comments about the HORRIBLE customer NO service we receive. Probably his underlings "make those disagreeable comments disappear" before they can reach his office, or not. Maybe he knows EXACTLY what is going on.
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

said by 15444104:

You have to understand that the guy works for at&t and its his job is to give customers the 'merry go round' script. We all (at least many of us) know the kind of company we are dealing with, yesterday I had friends in my house and one couple told me that they were waiting for at&t's contract to expire and move everything from internet/TV/wireless to other ISP and Sprint. I quoted one of my favorite Archie Bunker's quotes... AT&T American thieves and thugs and we all laughed.

Their (at&t CSRs) tactics is to delay the process of you switching to other ISPs. The longer they have you under their billing system the better even if they have to pamper/patronize/threat you with maternal/encouraging phrases and ETF (early termination fees)

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
Well I can't control decisions made by corporate that are well above my pay grade and don't involve me. I don't find it particularly fair to pin me down for decisions that corporate made or makes.

If you want help with your services, that's fine, hit me up. If not, there isn't much I can do about it...

is there...
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!
join:2012-06-11

Why doesn't this surprise me???!!!

I have the most sympathy for you cluebbe!

I ordered DSL service and never even had the chance to use it before I cancelled the order because ATT would NOT repair the NID right outside my house. My call to repair resulted in a repair ticket that was cancelled THREE times inexplicably with no reason given each time. I spent hours and hours speaking with probably ten CSRs all to no avail. Luckily I was able to cancel the order within the 30 days so I owed them nothing at all. Not that I should as I NEVER had a single second of internet service!!!

Fast forward a year later and door to door from ATT U-Worst show up at my house. They asked if I was interested in the service.

I told them no as ATT could not be bothered to repair THEIR NID at my home. The salesmen mentioned that "Oh, they (U-Worst) is not part of the DSL group." I mentioned that it doesn't matter because when there are repair issues outside the home (at the NID eg) ATT repair takes care of that, even for U-Verse..

I said for the ATT salesman to tell CEO Randall Stephenson he needs to spend more time on focusing on the CUSTOMER , and invest in REAL customer SERVICE, instead of padding his own pocket, and that of the shareholders.

Until ATT can provide REAL customer SERVICE they will not see one penny from me ever.

Why Randall "Slick" Stephenson and his BoD are still in charge at ATT is beyond me they are some of the most incompetent characters in the telecom business if you ask me.