AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Kiwi See Profile

• Location: USA/MidWest
Good "Realiable, reasonable price for business class."
Bad "Slow service plan "
Overall "What counts is reliability and AT&T does deliver that."

Various reviews over the years and multiple ISP's since the advent of high speed 1200baud rate

Aristotle was hard to beat with 1G/1G, while Dallas and the crew were there, using Earthlink, which left us all holding an empty bag of zero's. Now using AT&T, which I have not had since comparing them and cable around 2000.

One thing about AT&T, they may be consistently slow, but they are reliable and many understand how important that is. Averaging around 9meg, with a service of 12meg -But, I'm a couple of miles from the sweet spot. It does get under my skin that less than 800 yards away is a Uverse sweet spot I can't have because the line runs the wrong way. Living in a historic district has it's downsides with any service; we are always LAST on any service update list, regardless of what it is.

I'm happy to have a solid connection though and will not complain about pricing for a business line at all, $40 a month is ridiculously low. I'm used to $80's + and cable was $200. I'm hoping AT&T upgrades the area so that I can also get TV and will be more than happy to pay for the service; I have never, ever been a grinch when it comes to paying for broadband, I use it more than anything else PC related -So, I'm willing to pay. I have now had service a full month.

After getting service, which was delayed due to the software mishap for a week, I'm fairly content, I know the line can handle a much better connection speed (Aristotle/Earthlink) but AT&T is slow [Years] to upgrade hardware.

If there is a con, it has to be contacting AT&T -It's entirely setup for cell phone wireless customers ONLY and is horrific to get past. However the results have been great in terms of results. AT&T will not leave you hanging without a service like Comcast will.

Cheers
***********
Update April 26th, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied.
UPDATE Oct/Nov, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied. Would still like full Uverse services (TV), however doubt that will ever happen.
***********
Pleased to continue with AT&T.

UPDATE 03/15/2014 ---Business line
I'm patient when treated well.
Mid January a tree limb dropped all lines to the house, all were fixed, but continued to have issues with Uverse internet.
As it happens AT&T are prompt and the tech team fast to reply and for that I'm grateful enough to hang in. I have had all sorts of tech visits since having the line replaced, cat5 inside, new modem, new ground and even a new drop --In spite of that on a 12meg line I was getting 1100 baud rate [.45] Fast forward to today. The strange thing was although there was a lot of noise the line gave 10/.900 for around 4 to 6 hours after a Tech left and then dropped dead again.

Allen (Roy) came out, it was pretty easy to see he was committed to resolving the problem and did! Now here is the catch, lines running from the box on the pole (street) had a boot spike through the middle (half way up the pole), the lines it seems touched enough with a wind to provide a connection (They really were broken in half) almost like working with WIFI 1/8 inch apart.
Nobody can tell me these lines can't take abuse. KUDO's to Allen.

AT&T continue to treat customers well with regard internet issues and in spite of this difficult to discern problem, still came through.

Update 11/22/2014.
I won't hold my breathe for the Politics of broadband to end in the next decade, meanwhile the struggle between consumers and broadband providers are at odds.
AT&T remains stable compared to the only other option, Comcast in this area. It's unique in that Comcast and Bank of America hold the distain of the majority of their customers, neither need people to work for them as the results are worse than having an automated response regardless of the issues. Arkansas remains the bastard child regards servicing broadband, along with a few other Southern States.

Added another Uverse business line 6mgsec /700kbsec to the account of 12mgsec /1mgsec because if two devices were hooked, not much chance off a functional internet connect. I require an uninterrupted VPN access, for work.

The added line resulted in 5.5mgsec / 356kbsec and a slight increase on the 12/1 account 10.5mgsec / 1mgsec. I'm not complaining based on the 3,800' distance from the CO. Basically in my area that means more than 1,200 potential customers for greater than 18mgsec service just waiting, perhaps in the next decade, maybe not. It's an Historic area, simply put the lowest 'Pawns' in the city for service because of an upgrade need, upgrades simply don't ever happen. Comcast serves the area no better with 50mgsec which is approximately 20% over provisioned for service, can't go over 25mgsec without constant interruptions. One day an ISP will allow Americans to join the economic powers of the remaining World consumers in establishing reasonable ecommerce. The truth is providers are trying to push customers on to the ridiculously priced LTE service.

Out of the services available at least AT&T is prompt, trouble free and does not incur that terrible practice of twice a year price jumps, with no change in service.
Thanks goes out to the prompt lineman who replaced a pole to pole broken wire bundle and Joey for the hookup.

$45 Line one
$35 Line two.

Cheers

Comments:

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

Had SDSL at 1G/1G, on (what became) U-Verse lines?

Guess you meant 1Mbps/1Mbps; else it was FTTP or FTTC (very short copper length before fiber interface) not SDSL.

Recent variants of SDSL I believe don't exceed 5/5Mbps even when using two pairs.