Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by JCohen See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Getting the Advertised Speeds, 150GB Cap."
Overall "Worth the price and indeirectly dealing with Rogers."

·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I currently have the Express package from Start which is 18 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up and I am using my Motorola SB5100 modem which other than the lack of channel bonding has zero issues and runs just like the day that I got it.

I did a transfer from Rogers to Start so I was able to save the $50 activation fee and since I already owned my own modem the setup was easy, I even had a representative from Start call me to confirm if my activation had been successful.

I have been with Start since July and since than their have been no outages to report and no speed issues.

Toronto Nexicom: »www.speedtest.net/result/2373193952.png
Montreal Fibrenoire: »www.speedtest.net/result/2373195998.png

-----

UPDATE June 14, 2013

I've upgraded to the new Express package, 25 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up and I've also upgraded my modem to a DCM475. The speeds are solid throughout the day and the unlimited window between 2-8 AM more than makes up for losing 50GB from my cap.

Toronto Nexicom: »www.speedtest.net/result/2773850673.png
Montreal Fibrenoire: »speedtest.net/result/2773853139.png

member for 3.7 years, 1646 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

modem upgrade

I'd say its about time to upgrade your modem

JCohen
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

Re: modem upgrade

I know that I should upgrade but I don't see the need to spend $100 on a new modem.

Ozak

@start.ca

You need a new Modem ... Maybe.

If you're using the Motorola SB5100, then you should upgrade if you see any packet loss. The next modem up, that Start supports, is the Motorola SB5101N modem. Checking out start.ca for more info.

JCohen
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

Re: You need a new Modem ... Maybe.

The Motorola SB5100 and the SB5101N are pretty much the exact same thing except the SB5101N has a USB port, a newer web interface and some other design differences, although performance wise their is no difference.