Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by ravage777 See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "No dropped connections, very low ping, speeds as promised, high caps, AMAZING value, website show monthly data usage LIVE"
Bad "Clueless support staff (but at least they speak English properly)"
Overall "Just can't recommend them anymore"

This is a great ISP. I haven't had a dropped connection yet- not once in like 8 months! The speeds are always fast as advertised and ping is low as well. The bandwidth usage caps are very generous. I have the grandfathered standard 200gb plan, but even the 150gb caps with the new plans are great compared to others. I've only had to contact their sales staff a few times during installation and they were great- they spoke english well and didn't have thick accents. Oh and the best thing about these guys is they show you the bandwidth usage for the month live on their website without logging in (it's based on IP I think) and you can see your estimated usage for the month too.

Update: I have to edit my positive review of this place... just a few days after I wrote it! I was switched to the new standard plan which is faster but with a lower cap than my previous grandfathered plan. After speaking with an unknowledgeable representative, I decided to switch because he said it would take just 24-48 hours for the change- easy peasy. What he conveniently didn't mention was that a new modem was required (which Start e-mailed me a tracking number for the night of- surprise!). I said fine.. this is a bit of a hassle but that's okay because after e-mailing their support team, I got a reply saying that it just needed to be swapped out. Okay, I assume when someone says ". Once you receive that modem please call us immediately so we can setup to swap it out" and "Once the equipment swap is completed we will process the speed upgrade.", that it means Start (the "we" in this case) is going to be swapping said equipment out for me. That's not the case here. I'm informed I am being charged 2 rental fees for 2 modems and that I have to return the old one at my own cost via mail or dropping it off in London. Thanks Start!!

Edit: I just wanted to write a clarification because there was a comment assuming that I only talked to one agent and should've found another one to get the help I needed. I talked to 3 agents. 2 on the phone and 1 via e-mail. 2 offered misinformation and 1 offered no credit. The first agent I spoke to said I could get the new plan in 24-48 hours and that I didn't need to do anything on my end- completely untrue. He also said there would be no extra fees. Not true either. He also said it would be faster- well probably true but now I'll never know because I'm downgrading my plan to the most basic package possible now. The second agent (via e-mail) responded "Once you receive that modem please call us immediately so we can setup to swap it out. Once we have completed the swap your current modem will stop working." to my question of "Do I need to send the old modem back if there is a new one?". Now to me, and most normal people I would think, that means they are sending someone to do the install and that they will take the old modem back at the same time. That didn't make sense to me, but hey I asked a clear question.

The third rep I spoke to clarified everything regarding mailing costs, modems, and installations. Unfortunately, he also said I would have to pay two modem rental fees if I didn't get the old modem back to them on time. This pissed me off because I was already complaining about them giving me misinformation on the modem in the first place and he was unapologetic and actually suggesting they were going to charge me even more money despite all this being the fault of their reps who can't answer questions properly?!? Apparently this isn't true either according to another comment on this site below. After asking for a plan downgrade and suggesting that I would cancel my service (I asked about cancellation fees), he finally sounded a bit apologetic and said he would see what he could do about a credit for the mailing cost and would get back to me. He asked me if I was interested. I said I was, but that I would still downgrade my plan so I wouldn't need the new modem. He also said he would try to undo the equipment swap on their end and that it may take more time and would be harder for them. I said okay, and asked him- but can you do it? He said yes.

I then get a message saying that in fact, I have to keep the new modem because the equipment swap order on their system can't be undone (Um... why not exactly?!), so I'm going to lose my connection, I have to install the modem and send the old one back. I'm losing count of the number of times I've been given misinformation. Oh and he would still try to see what can be done about the credit.

A bit later, I lose my internet connection. Hm.. this is probably because of the forced equipment swap I think to myself. But wait, the last rep said he would call me to let me know when that was about to happen. He didn't. I call yet again and I get a different rep. I ask him if I lost connection because of an outage or because of the swap. He checks, and it is indeed the swap. I ask why I didn't get the call from the other rep about it. Oh the employee didn't get back to me because he's left for the day. Oh lord... I'm not even surprised at this point. I ask about the credit to make sure it's in the file. It is, but it still has to be looked at because management has left for the day.

*flips table*

member for 1.6 years, 5 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

IP

Your usage wouldn't be by IP if you don't have a static IP. It's most likely by MAC address for the modem.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
·Bell Fibe

New rating

Dropping the rating to a 50% is a bit harsh dont you think?

If you tried sending a PM to Rocca or even calling Start and talking to a different agent, im sure they would have immediately credited you the second modem charge. Also they send out pre paid mailing labels for returning equipment, so you jumped the gun on that one yourself.

Re: New rating

Nope not harsh considering my interactions with this company. I've never had a worse exerience.. even with the people at Bell or Rogers for god's sake. I talked to 3 agents now in about half a dozen calls, several e-mails and a lot of wasted time. Only the 3rd one mentioned the possibility of a credit (yes the rep said he would look into getting me one... very generous of them to -consider- a $10 credit vs losing my business completely)... after I said I am going to consider cancelling my service completely. They said they send out prepaid mailing labels for returning equipment?

Well that means you know more than their customer support does because this was not mentioned ONCE despite me asking about a way for me not to have to pay for the mailing back of the modem several times. Maybe that's something they used to do, or I just got helped by new staff? I don't know. Don't care at this point.

Modem exchange

Swapping the modem is just unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in, just like plugging in your computer or a modem, ie this isn't something we need to send a technician for. We always credit back a second rental if you've returned the one across a billing boundary, and while normally returning modems is the customers responsibility I'd be happy to send you a label in this case. The service is tied to a specific modem, so we can't make the change until you get the new one otherwise you'd be out of service so we like to make sure you have that modem before we initiate that. In the end you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem now instead of a DOCSIS 2.0 at no additional charge. Anyway, sorry you were very upset about this, unfortunately if we don't do it in two steps (ie you get the modem first, then we initiate the swap) then you'd be out of service so this is to ensure that doesn't happen. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you're still upset about this or to arrange a label.

Re: Modem exchange

"Swapping the modem is just unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in, just like plugging in your computer or a modem,"

Yes this was clarified to me after several phone calls and one VERY misleading e-mail that implied otherwise.

"We always credit back a second rental if you've returned the one across a billing boundary"

Interesting because the rep I spoke to said I would have to pay two modem rental fees if I didn't get back it to you guys on time so it was in my best interest to return it as soon as I could.

Thanks for the offer for the prepaid labels. Funny enough because I'm still waiting to hear back from one of the reps about the possibility of a credit for me mailing back the modem. I guess he has to discuss with upper management if it's better to give me a $10 credit vs losing hundreds of dollars of my business.

And I actually have no use for the DOCSIS 3 modem now. I decided to downgrade my service to the basic package, which doesn't require it. I still have to keep the modem (and swap it in) and return the old modem because the system won't let the rep undo whatever he did I guess.

I've got to admit it's impressive to get a solution offered so quickly upon writing an internet review. Maybe I should've done this sooner rather than spend all that time dealing with reps who are churning out misinformation and unhelpfulness. Sorry if I sound grumpy and mean, but this whole situation has really soured my mood.

Re: Modem exchange

As I said I'm sorry if you weren't told at the initial phone call that'd we'd be sending you a new upgraded modem at no charge. Because we didn't tell you about the modem needing to be done I've offered to credit the cost for the return of the original modem.

From the point you emailed asking why we were sending you a new modem though I'm not sure how this got blown up or confused to the point it is. If you don't return a modem for a long period of time then yes we start billing for a second rental, I think it's a fair request that you can't indefinitely have two rental modems?

It seems like this whole thing is because you're upset we've asked you to return the old modem, and I've made good on that by picking up the cost for it.

Thanks and sorry we didn't meet your expectations for this upgrade.

Sigh.

As for why you didn't get a call from us the second the modem swap (in Cogeco's database) occurred is because we haven't received the update from them yet, it can take a couple hours, however we clearly indicated this would happen in the email to you:

Service is tied to a modem, ie the mac address of the device. When you change modems we have to submit a 'swap' to the new equipment, ie the service moves to the new mac address of the device and only one device can be active at a time.

When you ordered service that required a faster modem we sent the modem and asked you to call us once it was received so we could make the swap with Cogeco's database, that's what was completed today and requires that you plug in the new modem when the old one stops working, ie like the email above indicated. I'm sorry if this was complicated, but it's no different than plugging it in the first time when you activated service and we are not able to send technicians to plug in modems.

As for your return label, I haven't got to it yet because I've been reviewing and replying to your comments here over the past hour.

As it sits now you're modem is swapped to the new one, we'll process your request for the downgrade and send you a label to return the old modem.

Wow.

Okay, the first sentence is incorrect. I assume you have recordings of what was said. Did you listen to the last call? He said colin was gone for the day, yes that much is true. After that, I asked about the credit to make sure it was mentioned in the notes, and he said it was, but they still have to look at it because management was gone for the day and thus he couldn't do anything at the time since it was an upper management issue. I remember it specifically because I remember asking myself-- an upper management issue, really?!

Are you serious? That e-mail doesn't implying someone is coming to my house? Look at the context. My original e-mail asked 2 questions: Are you sending me a new modem, and do I need to send the old modem back? When the rep answers the first question but doesn't say "yes you need to send the old modem back" to answer the second question, and instead goes on about how "We" need to swap the modem out... I'm going to have to completely disagree on what "self-explanatory" means. To me, self-explanatory is: "Yes you have to send the old modem back" because I was already under the impression I can just plug in the modem myself so why the heck was she talking about how "we" had to swap out the modem when I was asking about shipping the old modem back.

Edit: And it's funny that you think the e-mail is as self-explanatory as possible since Colin mentioned that she just probably didn't read my entire email/question when he read the e-mail himself. I guess we're both idiots.

·Start Communicat..
"If you don't return a modem for a long period of time then yes we start billing for a second rental, I think it's a fair request that you can't indefinitely have two rental modems?"

That's definitely fair, but the rep did not put it that way nor did I ask him if I could keep two modems forever. I asked him when I had to give it back by. He responded that I should do it as soon as I can since I can get charged two modem rental fees otherwise because that's what he sees on his system or whatever. He didn't mention waiving the fee if it happened to cross the billing period. In a vacuum, this is a reasonable response, but to say that after I've already noted this whole situation is because of his colleagues' misinformation. I don't even.

"As for needing a review to get a credit, no that's not the case, if you felt like our agent let you down you could have asked for a supervisor, or PM'd me here, I'm always happy to help here when things don't work out as smoothly as they normally do."

"In any case, we have your request for the downgrade now - I will get a return label mailed for you to send back the modem that isn't in use."

I only wrote this review after calling the support line so I didn't know this place was actually monitored by Start. I was going to ask for a supervisor but he already said he would try to see what he could do about the credit and would call me back. I got a message later saying that they are looking into the credit still (and can't undo the swap). I called back just now actually and asked if the credit consideration was on file. Another rep now.. said it was but that it wasn't being processed because management has left for the day. It was 3:12pm. He didn't mention prepaid labels being on the file. I guess I'll have to take your word for it then.

"I'll certainly look at the emails again and see if there is a way to make it more apparent that by 'swapping out the modem' we don't mean that someone is going to go to your house to do it."

It's pretty simple. In fact I initially thought it was a simple modem swap I could do myself since that's what Rogers had done before.. heck I didn't even ask how the installation was being done- that's probably how it got so confusing. Here's my e-mail exactly as sent in response to the tracking code e-mail I received: "What are you shipping to me? A new modem? I asked for my grandfathered account to be changed to the new one (25 mbps). The representative didn't mention anything about any additional hardware needed. Do I need to send the old modem back if there is a new one?"

Once the equipment swap is completed we will process the speed upgrade."

Instead of saying "we can setup to swap it out" and "Once we have completed the swap...", all that needed to be said was: "Yes, you need to send the old modem back."

Re: Modem exchange

I'm going to give you a call, I think this is a 2 minute resolution.

London, ON
For what's it's worth we just received the notice from Cogeco saying the swap was completed.

said by ravage777:

She responded: "Yes we are shipping you a new modem. In order for us to upgrade you to the 25Mbps speed you need a DOCSIS 3 modem. Once you receive that modem please call us immediately so we can setup to swap it out. Once we have completed the swap your current modem will stop working. At that time you can change over to the new modem, but not before. Once the equipment swap is completed we will process the speed upgrade."

No answer, I left you a vm, but just to confirm, the part that you are upset about over this whole process was that the email above didn't say "and return the old modem" on it? - just trying to clarify the root of the concern so we can avoid anything like it again. Thanks.

Re: Modem exchange

Upset about the following things:

1. First rep neglecting to mention a new modem, the need for the old modem to be sent back. The rep also fumbled around with what the new speeds were so maybe he was new.
2. Second rep neglecting to mention the need for the old modem to be sent back when I specifically and clearly asked that in my e-mail. She goes on about the process for swapping modems, which was completely irrelevant to my question. This to me, is confusing.
3. Third rep offering no help and zero resolution skills despite my obvious anger over the issue- no apology until I asked for a downgrade and asked about cancellation fees. A mailing cost ($10?) credit that was going to be considered by his management and he later leaves a message saying it's still being considered?

However, yes if the e-mail answered my question instead of going on a tangent, then I would've been satisfied.

At this point, I wish to cease communication about this. Good day.

Re: Modem exchange

I do understand not being told in advanced that a new modem was coming, we should have mentioned that - it was missed but as soon as you asked because of the shipment notice we advised and the 2nd rep was only trying to help by given more details about the process. You then made a credit request and within a couple hours I was engaged with you here offering a printed return label. I'm sorry that this upset you as greatly as it did, we certainly were just trying to get you an upgraded modem so you could enjoy the new speeds for the same price as your older package. Anyway, no reply required - just wanted to let you know our intention was always to provide you with a good experience and sorry we couldn't make you happy this time. All the best and have a happy Easter.

Re: Modem exchange

Further to my last message, just keep the modem - no need for you to ship it back, I'll write it off. Have a good weekend.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
·Bell Fibe

Re: Modem exchange

The maturity of the reviewer astounds me. It should be pointed out he keeps lowering the review scores of various things like "Value for Money", "Install Coordination", "Tech Support" and "Services" just to be more difficult. All which have nothing to do with the issue he brought up.

Starts Value for Money and Services are without a doubt among the best in Canada if not right at the peak of the mountain. As for the other docked points, this has nothing to with with line issues or faulty equipment so I am unaware why Tech Support is so low.

I find it hard to believe that Start wouldn't have offered you a pre paid postage slip, ive had one client cancel a second install after receiving the modem and right away was offered one.

It also amazes me how irate you seem to be, but when the CEO tries to personally call you and correct the situation, the scores you lowered out of spite should have gone right back to normal.

Rocca, your dedication to your customers should be pointed out yet again for the offer you made in your reply. Class act all the way.

said by coaxguy:

smallj53

join:2002-08-25
Niagara Falls, ON
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Modem exchange

Having read most of this (and I seriously doubt most people could wade through everything this customer has posted) I am amazed at the patience and dedication of Start staff. You have been "ravaged" Rocca.

I have read about how some companies label customers like this "hard to serve" and refuse to do business with them. Also one last observation: is it possible there is a new category of customer, one that we might call a "troll customer?" I would suggest leaving off on replying and letting the "troll customer" have the last word much earlier next time. Its not worth your time or trouble.

Re: Modem exchange

Troll customer? I rarely complain about anything. I even didn't mind the very hard to understand staff at Rogers. I've been with start for a while now and Rocca can attest to that I'm sure and I think he'll also tell you that I never even call in about anything nevermind to complain. My start (pun intended) with the company was smooth and simple. I accepted the misinformation about the modem. When it came to the point that I wanted the cost reimbursed since I wasn't informed of it, I did call in and the staff did offer to think about it. I call again later in the day (at 3pm) and the staff is gone, the credit on file and the management is gone as well (or so I was told). What else am I supposed to do? Yeesh.

·Start Communicat..
Install coordination was lowered appropriately as it's directly related- no call was received with the impending swap so I lost connection unexpectedly and actually missed out on an important stock trade near the end of the trading period (funny enough, I got the call about 3 hours after the swap actually occurred) and incorrect installation info was given (twice). Value for money is indirectly related to all of the above. Tech support and services is directly related. When you call the tech support line (yes the tech support extension) and the staff gives you incorrect installation information, then how is it NOT related? If I also dial into the billing line and that staff gives you incorrect information, how is that NOT related? If my service cuts off because they are doing an equipment swap that I didn't want to do (and it was promised to me by one of the TECH SUPPORT staff that he could cancel it), how is that NOT related? Please let me know because I'd like to hear your explanation of how tech support giving me completely wrong information multiple times, not doing what they promise to do, and being unhelpful in general is not related.

And you find it hard to believe they didn't offer me a pre paid postage slip? I find it hard to believe too, but it happened! If you think I'm just blatantly lying, Rocca can easily tell you I am wrong and that they did offer me a pre paid postage slip if that did occur at all, at any time during a conversation with those agents. He will not because it didn't happen.

Yes I am irate because of the way the CEO said the e-mail was completely "self-explanatory" despite the fact that the e-mail didn't answer 1 of 2 questions I asked. I posted the e-mail in one of the comments. When I have to bicker with a CEO of a company over whether his customer support staff did what they were supposed to do, that IS irritating to me. Also the fact that he said I was never told management was gone for the day in the last call was the last straw because I very, very, very clearly remember the staff saying that since it was the most baffling thing I've heard at 3pm in the afternoon. So no, I'm not going to take his calls after reading that garbage.

In summary:

1. Given wrong information leading to me switching my package
2. No compensation for unmentioned additional costs offered after multiple calls
3. More wrong information given (about being called before the impending swap and connection loss)

Next time I have to contact these guys I'll make sure to record the conversations and post as necessary so I don't get a CEO here disagreeing with me about what occurred.

Re: Modem exchange

Things like: 'the CEO said the e-mail was completely "self-explanatory"', where in fact I said: 'That message tried to be as self-explanatory as possible' ...really twist the events. The agent tried to make the message self-explanatory by detailing the process, you didn't read it the same way it was intended and so obviously it was unsuccessful in your case but that was the intention.

As for your points:

1. Agreed.

2. I called you personally at home within a couple hours of your request for a credit.

My summary looks like this:

I agree we should have notified you at time of request that a new modem would be required and the old one sent back, when you engaged our team to express your extreme dissatisfaction it was escalated to the top level and within a couple hours I personally called you to make it right and pick up the shipping cost. I'm really not sure what more could have been done and it's unfortunate that 8 months of excellent service had zero goodwill in giving us a chance to correct the issue. In the end I wrote the modem off so you didn't have to do anything at all.

I tried to help, I really did. Sorry you see it differently.

Re: Modem exchange

Okay, fine I guess this another argument of semantics. Personally I think a message has to have an ounce of 'self-explanatory' in it when someone says the message "tried to be as self-explanatory as possible," but I guess that is saying the same thing as 'the very obese man tried to be as thin as possible'. She at no point answered my second question and was misleading IMO. Whether your statement contradicts my opinion is semantics I suppose. Whatever then.

1. Great.

2. Yes, and that was very helpful but the staff weren't and this matters (see #4).

3. I'm not talking about the e-mail. I did call after receiving the modem. I'm talking about what Colin told me unless I misunderstood him. I believe he said I would receive a call afterwards letting me know when the swap occurred (i.e, it was already being processed) so I could plug in the new modem (I already received the modem at this point). I am quite certain he actually said this because I did indeed receive a voice mail message several hours late after the swap telling me that I could now plug in my new modem. I didn't wait for his call. Logically, either that rep is another rogue rep deciding he's going to follow processes not followed by everyone else at the company, or Colin did indeed say that to me.

4. My understanding is that I only got real help after I posted this edited review. Had I been some sucker who didn't speak up, I would still be waiting for a response from Colin's upper management regarding a possible $10 credit for their mistake.. management that had left for the day according to the last rep I spoke to. To me, I think that's frankly ridiculous. You can argue with me about whether the last rep said upper management had gone away- only recordings will prove who's right. What I am 100% certain about is that they were still looking at the possibility of the credit and that there was nothing he could do on his part since it was an "upper management" matter. I was not transferred to a supervisor. I could've thrown a tantrum and said "Find me a freaking supervisor somewhere!!" but I knew you were already resolving it and likely the rep didn't know that. I think that shows a huge disconnect between the your attitude and at least a few of the support staff. You are very willing to resolve this, yet the staff have to leave a memo for management to look at the possibility of a $10 credit for a mistake they made and won't suggest handling the matter immediately by calling a supervisor who can sign off on a $10 credit right then and there despite how pissed off I was. Maybe they are new? I don't know. In any case, your quick resolution of this as the CEO speaks positively a lot about you, but not to your company because not everyone who experiences a problem will post a review on an online website. They will likely go through the support staff for a resolution. As I said to guru, I was willing to remove my review or at least edit out the negativity until you told me I was wrong on about 4 things that I highly believe occurred. That is the one (major) negative aspect of my dealing with you. We are going to just have to disagree on those things unless you send me the recordings to prove me wrong. Anyway it's Easter soon, and I think this resolved. I'm going to continue to address comments guru has about this because he thinks I'm some kind of immature jerk who's just out to troll a company for no reason, but not to you because I just don't think we're going to agree and neither of us should have to interact anymore.

Re: Modem exchange

ravage777, I am not going to answer your questions because it has already been answered. If you still think after the text below, I will answer your questions but hear me out.

What I am trying to simply say is your problem was looked at in proper manner and you got excellent service for your problem. As Rocca said, his intentions were not wrong or the way you are looking at it and I am not taking his side. Myself and many others who had interaction with Rocca, he honestly goes not only one or two but three extra miles for the customer and that's exactly what he did.

Despite Rocca trying to offer his help and do what's best and on top of that he called you and you are still miffed with that is something we are trying to tell you. How can you be mad at something which the party at fault is doing everything to solve your issues and in fact solved it within couple of hours. Where are you going to get that kind of service? As I said you seem to be a educated person and I believe you are being unreasonable.

I said it in the past in one of the thread that I am neutral and certainly don't want it to be looked at as taking sides. I am a customer myself and I go through exactly like you do but when a problem is solved and I see that extra effort is being made to solve the problem, I cooperate and be a good customer and encourage them to improve and not discourage or get miffed with them because if you honestly care about improving the service and you don't want others to go through then you pass the info who's going to fix it for good. In this case, Rocca took few decisions which will prevent this kind of misunderstanding from now on.

As an example, in the past, I had issues with TSI customer service and I was told wrong information many times and I was pissed. What I did was I approached TSI staff on DSLR and passed the info to them and it was taken care of. When things don't get fixed then you should give them hell but again when its fixed or see the extra effort, you should acknowledge the service and be a good customer.

I understood your problem in your main post and saw that Rocca took the ownership and solved it. But then you continue to be harsh and picking every single words. To me it seemed like you were trolling and not being understanding at all. That's the part it gets me about customer, it honestly does and dislike that about customers. I didn't see Rocca ever being rude or called someone off or what not. I highly speak of Rocca as he honestly was being genuine and he takes customer service very seriously that's why he's here and did everything he could to help you and I honestly didn't see him being harsh on you. I just don't want you to be looked at as a bad a customer as you prolly are not but after all this, you are still miffed and taking a dig at CEO because of few mere words where he's trying to explain in detail. Rest is up to you my friend.

In summary:

1. Given wrong information leading to me switching my package

I think you made your point and Start Communications listened and fixed that for you.

It's not like other companies who make mistakes but never acknowledge that that they dropped a ball and never offer help whatsoever. On top of that that company will tell you are stupid because you are creating a big fuss. I have had experience with Bell and Rogers where both of them said "Sorry" and that's it and no money back, no NOTHING!!!

The type of ignorance you are showing is unbelievable. You seem to be a educated person and I believe you understand how this works. When Rocca or anyone at that point is helping you to solve the problem and listens to you then, you have to be understandable and willing to help them help you and be a good customer.

You are total opposite here, after all the help you received and that too within couple hours, you still behave like a child and drawing the same conclusion. Rocca took the responsibility, solved the problem and resolved it but yet you have the same conclusion drawn. How is that fair and at this point how can we believe you and your review? Sorry man, if I am being too harsh here but you are not being very understanding.

If I were to ask you the difference between good and bad, I bet you'd have the same definition lol..

2 edits

Re: Modem exchange

Yes I realize Rocca solved the issue and for that I'm grateful. I still stand by my point that I had the right to be mad about 3 unhelpful reps and something was only done after a review was edited.

I'm surprised that you had such a bad experience with Rogers and Bell. They did screw things up a lot but they sure as heck knew what to do when it came to apologizing and reimbursement. I guess this proves we can have different experiences with the very same company and why I might not have been offered pre-paid labels by Colin and you would've expected that I was.

Also, I am not going to change my rating because of rocca's comments on this matter. I was actually ready to move on and edit/remove my review, but the fact that rocca is replying the way he is infuriating. While they are at times apologetic and helpful, they also deny fault at other times and insinuate that I am some kind of dunce that can't understand e-mails or speak to tech support.

"Now if you hadn't received any help and CEO said, you are WRONG then, me and others wouldn't be saying what we said."

That's hilarious considering the following comments from Rocca:

^Guru: Please tell me where in the e-mail does the staff member answer my question of whether or not I had to send an old modem back, whether she did it clearly, vaguely or even remotely in a self-explanatory manner because the CEO thinks the message tries to be "as self-explanatory as possible"- of course that is semantics because effort is not the same as results. I was ready to move on from this issue since really $10 for a mailing cost is not a big deal, but the fact that the CEO of the company is downplaying it like this is irritating beyond belief.

"3. Completely disagree, the message there was very clear about the process: The email said "Once you receive that modem please call us immediately so we can setup to swap it out. Once we have completed the swap your current modem will stop working. At that time you can change over to the new modem, but not before." (emphasis added) -- Yes, it could have probably said "After, please send the modem back." rather than being implicit."

Now I don't have recordings to prove the above 2 points wrong, but golly gee if the rep didn't tell me that only (an absent) upper management could handle the credits and that he couldn't do anything about it, I must be going crazy. I guess at that point I should've mentioned the CEO was willing to make an exception.

Re: Modem exchange

Unfortunately tone in text sucks and where I was being genuine I think you read it in a way that it wasn't intended. I took responsibility for the initial lack of communication and simply tried to provide a different perspective on the subsequent message. I think if you read through my contributions to this site you'll find I'm very transparent and customer focused. None of my replies had any intent of infuriating you and simply was to help explain the process and get you fixed up.

For what it's worth next week I'm putting in place a technical restriction so that service can't be changed if the modem isn't compatible to ensure we never run into a similar situation in the future.

Anyway as you said time to move on, I respect your decision on your ratings and I've never once asked someone to change one. Normally I don't comment on them at all here but wanted to help.

All the best.

You can't please everyone

Its amazing how a company such as Start has been so good to pretty much every one of its customers, so much so that when a customer such as this particular one has lost it over the smallest thing and keeps on going back and forth, others are defending Start. When has that ever happened with customers defend a company, NEVER!!!

You just can't please everyone no matter what you do. I think what Rocca's done here is way above and beyond. He doesn't have to do all this but he did. He investigated, dug deeper to find the root cause and resolved it. He took on himself personally to make it all right, what CEO/COO/CR does all that? Give it a rest man! Start has been a million times better than any company I've ever come across. And to compare them to Rogers and Bell's customer service quality is just poking fun at your own intelligence and maturity at the situation.

And Rocca, don't worry about the review. When any normal sane person goes through and sees how irrational this person was being, they will automatically ignore what he had to say about Start. All I can say is that you guys deserve an award of excellent customer service. Keep up the good work to both you and your amazing team!

Re: You can't please everyone

First off, your positive experience, and those of other Start customers, doesn't make what I experienced false. Outliers exist and maybe my situation is one of them.

Yes, the CEO did go above and beyond by resolving the issue so quickly and personally. That's something I've never experienced before. The staff didn't. Not a single one. 4 people either gave misinformation, did not do what they said they would do, or did not offer real help even after I downgraded my package and practically threatened to cancel... over $10 and their obvious error. That's also something I've never experienced, not with Rogers and not with Bell- yes one can get the runaround with them but when it comes down to it, they won't mind shedding a few dollars over their error. Even with that I was willing to edit/remove my review because hey.. at least it's resolved and the CEO did a bang up job with resolving it! I mean yeah it was only $10 anyway and I was only arguing because of the principle. Then I read his denials of wrongdoing as below (arguably the first quote is not technically a denial), which I've also never seen a CEO do regarding a customer service issue like this:

""That message tried to be as self-explanatory as possible and doesn't indicate we're coming to your house."

"David didn't tell you everyone was gone for the day, he said that Colin, the support agent you were talking with earlier was gone for the day when you asked for him specifically. We have lots of management here - I'm the CEO and am here, as is the COO, as is the customer relationship manager and our whole provisioning team.""

To you those may be small things. To me, it's irritating and baffling to see a CEO say things like that after I clearly detail my account of what happened and my reasoning for why that indeed truly was what happened. In my mind, that means he actually believes that's what happened because his staff are giving him inaccurate reports OR he has listened to the recordings and honestly believes I'm wrong about the second and third quote. If the latter is the case, he (or anybody at Start) is very welcome to send me the recordings showing A) the rep didn't say I will receive a call when they are ready to go ahead with the swap and B) the rep didn't say that management had left and they would not be able to help me with the credit at the moment.

If that's done, I will edit my review, apologize, send back the modem, and admit I was wrong. If not, I hope you understand why I might be pissed about the CEO basically saying I'm wrong about those things. If he's going to do that, it's only professional to show me some proof since he is the one that has the recordings.

1 recommendation

Re: You can't please everyone

Honestly, this is turning out to be a 'he said she said' thing. From a customer's point of view, you're right. But from a CEO point of view, he is standing by his people and he's right. Both you and Rocca are right from either side, and I am not trying to justify either of you here.

All I'm trying to say is let it go. Rogers and Bell can afford to let go of $10... heck they should be able to let go of a lot more than that but that's not what happens. Rogers and Bell can afford to let go of $10 because they make billions in profits each year.

Start, or small companies like Start barely break millions, and when Rocca has to run such a tight ship to pass the savings on to us, every dollar counts. Yes, the reps you dealt with definitely were not adequately trained to handle a situation such as yours, and yes you can say that Rocca is vicariously responsible for their mishandling of the situation. But don't punish an entire company when he fixed it all at the end.

For companies such as Start, they need all the positive reviews they can get to gain traction to bring behemoths such as Rogers, Bell, and Cogeco down to their knees. This IIPS is revolution if you ask me, a movement that is starting to change the Canadian competitive landscape. In the wireless industry it was Wind, Mobilicity, and Public, that gave the Big 3 to give birth to the tier 2 companies such as Fido, Virgin, Koodo.

We need to help Start out, and situations like the one you just went through helps better prepare Rocca and his team to better handle future situations. Like he said, as of next week he is going to implement a new rule that would keep any account from being changed to avoid a situation such as yours for any prospective customers in the future. I would say they deserve a pat on the back just to admit their mistake and to come out and say that it was their mistake and that they will make sure it will never happen again, don't you think?

said by ravage777:

Thanks, I'm always happy to help when things go sideways.

said by ravage777:

We don't run a retention department and our support team has to submit credit requests for approval, it was done within 2 hours. It wasn't that they didn't care, it's just that credits have to go to a manager for approval. You called several times within a couple hour period, apparently we didn't do it fast enough otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

said by ravage777:

David's direct manager Al who manages our service desk was on holiday Thursday so perhaps that's a point of confusion but I hadn't dismissed anything, instead I explained the intent and circumstances behind things in a very transparent way and pointed out perhaps where you had missed that the old modem would stop working after you had called to initiate the swap and you'd have to plug the new one in as you had indicated you weren't aware of that. I probably could have avoided the 'sigh' comment and for that I apologize but it was frustrating as I had just offered to make everything right and instead of a reply taking me up on it you further edited the review and dropped ratings again.

Despite everything I appreciate the opportunity to at least try to address your concerns. With respect though I have to end it here, I'm happy to address any further concerns you have directly at rocca@start.ca but time for me to move on from this thread.

Thanks and have a good night.

Hear me out

Re: Hear me out

said by Guru:

Re: Hear me out

Thanks guys, appreciate your support and kind words.
madchikun

join:2004-07-18
Canada
·Start Communicat..

Customer Service that goes above and beyond.

This issue completely portrays the customer service you can expect from Start. If you are not happy they will do whatever they can to make you happy. I cannot think of one other company that I've ever dealt with that is so proactive with their customer service. They escalate issues without having to throw a tantrum. I will gladly continue to recommend Start to my friends and family.
drp37

join:2013-03-31
canada

Re: Customer Service that goes above and beyond.

Seems like Start Communications is making a great effort from a customer service point of view, so keep up the good work!

Just don't go down the B@ll/R@g@rs path (e.g. profits >>> service) which is the primary reason I left both of them.
canuck1975
join:2008-07-02
Toronto, ON

Expectations vs. Reality

I had a terrible time switching from Rogers over to Start. It took around two weeks for the root cause to be identified and fixed. It really was a comedy of errors after a point (a modem was shipped somewhere that wasn't my place and someone even signed for it but it wasn't me!). I'm still having some latency issues which I'm pretty sure are related to congestion at the node and are outside of Start's control.

Having said all of that, I want to commend the management team for how they handled the situation. I wasn't getting the answers from the frontline agents that I was looking for and ended up escalating up to Al. Once I starting to work with Al I was getting daily updates for what Start was doing. A credit was put onto my account for the difficulties without me having to ask for it. After the service was up I got follow-up calls to make sure things were working the way they were.

When I called in to ask about returning the modem Al said that I should send him a copy of the receipt and they would credit my account for it. At the end of the day it ends up being net neutral, really.

The point of all of this? I didn't need to come to DSLreports to slam Start. I did run into a lot of the issues you ran into with staffing levels and frontline agents not following-up on my expected timelines. I've been used to 24/7 CS with Rogers and realized I had to temper that expectation with Start. However, I escalated it when I'd had enough and got exceptional service.

Had you taken a similar approach I'm sure that the issues you ran into would have been resolved quietly and wouldn't have tainted your review of Start.

Re: Expectations vs. Reality

I would've liked to have taken that approach but the front line agent lied to me and told me upper management was gone for the day. But yes, I should've stopped calling in and just deal with rocco directly.