Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by CaptainRR See Profile

• Location: Blue Rock,Muskingum,OH
Good "Only alternative when I cant get a dailtone at the house for dialup."
Bad "Have to be carfull not to hit the 5 gig cap!"
Overall "Works fine in a pinch when my landline is dead."

I have had Verizon Wireless Broadband service for several years now and finally using it at home. I have no other options for broadband were I live and probably never will as long as at&t owns the rotting copper lines around me. Last month Verizon Wireless activated a new cell site a mile from my house finally giving me cellular service and 3g service for my air card. I have tested it in and out for the past couple of weeks and it has been okay. The ping times are between 150-200ms. The speeds are really not that impressing. The best download and upload speeds are not as good as I expected them to be due to the fact that Time Warner cable ran fiber to the cell site and Verizon in my county is on the PCS bands. The best download speed I ever could get is about 900k down and uploads are about the same around 800k. Of course I am also running a CDMA modem that is over two years old and maybe getting tired. The upside of things is that I know the cell site is running on a fiber backbone and hopefully LTE comes in in the next year or so making things brighter around here. Nov. 16, 2012 Verizon Wireless activated the LTE on one of the two cell sites I am in between. My smartphone the LTE comes and goes but my hotspot solid 3-4 bars LTE! The ping times still stink runing between 150-350ms. But speeds are averaging 10mbs down and 5mbs up. Much better than 3g! But my at&t landline well still useless at 24k dialup.

member for 7.9 years, 904 visits, last login: a few hours ago